Where did the night go?

At our parties we like to keep the music changing throughout the night. We tend to stay away from the typical nano records type sound that is gripping the uk scene at the moment and try to show people a different type of dancefloor. Only had good feedback so far, apart from one individual who got a bit wound up because he couldn't play when he wanted to :Wink3:
I think alot of DJs are apprehensive about playing music which is different from what people are used to. There is alot of good trance music out there and it doesn't all sound like what you usually here at a trance party. Keep up the balance between night and day, but I don't think there shouldn't be boundries about what night and daytime trance should sound like.
How can we evolve if we keep on going round in circles??

Dawson.

full_lotus said:
I have noticed the distinct lack of night time tuneage at London parties, both legitimate ones and squat ones. When there has been night music played at squat parties, this has been in the morning or in the case of legit parties, only sunshiney morning music all the time. I'm not saying all parties are like this, but it does seem to be a trend.

this has been driving me up the fucking wall for ages now
especially when ive driven to london from bristol for a damn good stomp and they play bloody proggy sunshine day music all night, makes me wanna go home cause im so bored out my face and dont even want to dance cause the music is doing nowt for me except making me wanna punch the dj and hijack the decks to play some proper stomping music, not gay trance cause its cool in some crowds of people so thats all we are gonna play cause we are all cool yes we are oh we are you know thats why we all play the same style of music at 144 bpm all night long cause thats what is apparently cool

fuck off

a night should warm up then crank a bit more and more and more and more till its absolutely feckin mental and then everybody goes home wondering what the hell just happened in there

there is a time and a place for different styles of psytrance and if you get it wrong your not getting it right and it will show and people wont want to dance they will bop all night and probably go home before the end cause they know its not gonna change or pick up for a final blat.
what a waste of money, time, effort and petrol

frankly this is why i havent been going to london recently to party as this is happening a lot everywhere, even in the festivals, just have a quick look at 95% of the line ups this year, its all the same stuff, plod plod plod, people are missing the point and structure of a good party that just winds up and up until you explode and then it goes some more and some more, then u go home thinking ''fucking hell, that was a wicked party!!'' on a high for the next week

id rather stay at home and piss off the neighbours with good psytrance rather than pay up to 100 quid in total on a roadtrip to a party that sucks balls and makes me not want to dance but go home

im not saying i hate the proggy / fluffy / morning stuff, but there is definately a time and a place for it and if it is put in the wrong slot, the party will go nowhere, the pace will stay the same and it WILL be boring.

rant over :Grin:

bez23 said:
I think too many people fear the bonkers.

Learn to love the bonkers, embrace the bonkers. The bonkers is your friend.

BONKERS!!!! lets go feckin mental!!

get ur twisties out!!!

without the bonkers it would be boring, things dont go bonkers enough, lets get silly and crazy and mental and melt everyones brain :silly:

Elysium said:
BONKERS!!!! lets go feckin mental!!

get ur twisties out!!!

without the bonkers it would be boring, things dont go bonkers enough, lets get silly and crazy and mental and melt everyones brain :silly:

I'm not totally sure what twisties are, but I agree that as far as INDOOR parties go, I don't want the shape of my night to even think about being rounded off nicely at the end with some fluffy whatever type music. The chilling and soft music can come afterwards in the comfort of wherever you end up.
It's most satisfying to come away from a club-party feeling like the envelope has been well and truly pushed, leaving it all hanging on a great big 'what-the-fuck-was-THAT?!' type vibe. Sure - start with proggy, hell, start with chillout if you want to go the whole hog, but for god's sake, END WITH BONKERS.
I'm dissapointed when I come away from the end of a night feeling ambivalent about the last set because it was the kind of music that would be 'ok' at 'anytime.'
Different deal when you're outside - dark bonkers doesn't seem right when the sun is up and 3/4 of the party is lying on the floor. But that's different.

There is bonkers and then there is bonkers with purpose folks, eh Bez :Wink3:

( love the new avatar by the way mate.....only thing that is missing is a waistcoat :p )

twisties = twisted mental OMG what are those crazy sounds ripping through the atmosphere like a bat outta hell psychedelic trance

but, yes, it does have to go somewhere or there is no point....

Jon, cheer up!

shall I or shall I not...
mm you should go to this:

Belgium, Ghent, 5/6/7 August 2005:

line up so far (from omniscience)

line up at this moment:

Psychedelic

MINDFIELD (Phantasm Rec, Uk)
AUDIaLIzE (Ketuh Rec, Portugal)
MENOG (Spectral Rec, Portugal)
TALPA (Sundance Rec, Serbie)
FILTERIA (Suntrip, Sweden)
PSYFACTOR (Trishula Records, Russia)
PARAHALU (Parvati Rec, Hungary)
SENSIENT (Zenon Rec, Australia)
ETNOSCOPE (Digital Structures, Sweden)
VECTOR SELECtOR aka OCELOT (Dropout Productions, Usa)
WIZACK TWIZACK (Stone Age Rec, Zweden)

Live acts that are not confirm yet but we are speaking with

Freaking aka Terminator aka Parasence aka Big Noise aka ...
Haldolium
The Muses Rapt

DJ

P-Mack (Ketuh Rec/Boom 2002/2004, Portugal)
Mindfield old school set (Phantasm Rec)
Jahbo (Parvati Rec, Boom 2004, Denmarken)
Matutero - Zik - Horror Place - Andrenal Glands (Greece)
Sungirl (Ketuh, Russia)
Psytour (Femina Mandragora Family, Greece)
Oonah vs Nemesis (Spectral Rec/Transient Rec)
Influenza (Femina Mandragora Family)
Funkkimunkki (Femina Mandragora Family)
R' Deem (Purpel Snow Production)

Chill Out

live acts

Aes Dana (Ultimae Rec, Fr)
Solar Fields (Ultimae Rec, Swe)
Carbon Based Lifeforms (Ultimae Rec, Swe)
Nova (Ultimae Rec, UK)
HUVA NEtwork (Ultimae Rec, Fr vs Swe)

DJ

Mahiane (Ultimae Rec, Fr)
Kwark (Ultimae, Fr)
Aes Dana (Ultimae Rec, Fr)
Taom (Mental Spark, France)

:Smile3::Smile3::Smile3::Smile3:

TBH I like playing all sorts of trance start with Nano and so on then build up through a bit heavierwith more depth then give it the full twist at the end.

I like a bit of variety, but most dark psyde dj types just seem to bang it out, mix it badly and think that moving at 148bpm is enough. I've also heard some fucking flat, dreary prog and fluff dj's. I like it well mixed and clever with peaks and troughs to play with me brian. to much plod and it's time for bed, too much screeching night time and i just want to beat the fuck out of someone.

personally it's why i like the music, lots of different styles and textures and yes while each has it's own place, i think it shouldn't necessarilly be twisted at the end. i reckon the last dj should keep it jumpin' but have some groove to wind the night down. i remember going to parties in 94-95 that often finished with a bit of chilled drum and bass and dubby techno
that soothed the crowd after a hard night on the floor.

Red five said:
TBH I like playing all sorts of trance start with Nano and so on then build up through a bit heavierwith more depth then give it the full twist at the end.

I like a bit of variety, but most dark psyde dj types just seem to bang it out, mix it badly and think that moving at 148bpm is enough. I've also heard some fucking flat, dreary prog and fluff dj's. I like it well mixed and clever with peaks and troughs to play with me brian. to much plod and it's time for bed, too much screeching night time and i just want to beat the fuck out of someone.

personally it's why i like the music, lots of different styles and textures and yes while each has it's own place, i think it shouldn't necessarilly be twisted at the end. i reckon the last dj should keep it jumpin' but have some groove to wind the night down. i remember going to parties in 94-95 that often finished with a bit of chilled drum and bass and dubby techno
that soothed the crowd after a hard night on the floor.

Nicely put!

Monkey Do said:
rules rules rules

not very psychedelic is it?

Is it really so bad to include Eskimo, Eat Static, Azax Syndrom, Kindzadza and Kox Box all in the same set?

Nowt wrong with that :Smile3:

Psilocybo said:
At our parties we like to keep the music changing throughout the night. We tend to stay away from the typical nano records type sound that is gripping the uk scene at the moment and try to show people a different type of dancefloor. Only had good feedback so far, apart from one individual who got a bit wound up because he couldn't play when he wanted to :Wink3:
I think alot of DJs are apprehensive about playing music which is different from what people are used to. There is alot of good trance music out there and it doesn't all sound like what you usually here at a trance party. Keep up the balance between night and day, but I don't think there shouldn't be boundries about what night and daytime trance should sound like.
How can we evolve if we keep on going round in circles??

Dawson.

well said dawson, the trance scene needs originality to evolve, no more or less than any other time, it needs to be a constant movement. i cant comment too much on night-time trance too much because i really dont like it, but i seem to be in the minority on that one, so i'm chillin in the freedome. i think the reason DJs fear originiality in their sets is because the dancefloor crowd can be a demanding lot (refer to my post in the music discussion thread). its hard being into morning trance sometimes, because there are certain sounds and feels which i love and want to express in my music, even if i do hear them in other tracks. actually i guess that applies to any musician.
and if i know what individual you're talking about, i commend and sympathize with him. however, that incident is forgotten and the involved individuals are getting on like it never happened.
peace
alex

mr_faster said:
this has been driving me up the fucking wall for ages now
especially when ive driven to london from bristol for a damn good stomp and they play bloody proggy sunshine day music all night, makes me wanna go home cause im so bored out my face and dont even want to dance cause the music is doing nowt for me except making me wanna punch the dj and hijack the decks to play some proper stomping music, not gay trance cause its cool in some crowds of people so thats all we are gonna play cause we are all cool yes we are oh we are you know thats why we all play the same style of music at 144 bpm all night long cause thats what is apparently cool

fuck off

a night should warm up then crank a bit more and more and more and more till its absolutely feckin mental and then everybody goes home wondering what the hell just happened in there

Couldn't agree more, mate. One of the Broken Toy tracks at Indigo this weekend made me realise how much some hard, twisted, mental trance at night has been missing at many of the parties I've been to recently.

I'm all for more progression through the night and proper storyingtelling from the DJs as they take us all on a crazy journey...

I don't think the music is psychedelic because it is no longerly seemingly
written by people on psychedelics for people to listen to on psychedelics.
The musicians dare I say it thought themselves greater than the audience,
and thought the music was just them.

yodhe said:
I don't think the music is psychedelic because it is no longerly seemingly
written by people on psychedelics for people to listen to on psychedelics.

Be fair dude, I think 'inspired by psychedelics' is the closest you'll get - have you ever tried using Cubase or Logic on strong acid? :Wink3:

(I'll admit I did once, but it took me the best part of 4 hours to even get a basic beat going, and I listened to it back the following day and it was just a mash-up of noise.)

J.

yodhe said:
I don't think the music is psychedelic because it is no longerly seemingly written by people on psychedelics for people to listen to on psychedelics.

As I'm sure you're aware, there's still plenty of psychedelic music out there, you just need to search a little harder for it. Sure there's a lot of trash diluting the quality stuff, but I've had my brain utterly mashed up enough times recently to be happy. There'll always be people utterly commited to producing truly psychedelic music.

turkeyphant said:
As I'm sure you're aware, there's still plenty of psychedelic music out there, you just need to search a little harder for it. Sure there's a lot of trash diluting the quality stuff, but I've had my brain utterly mashed up enough times recently to be happy. There'll always be people utterly commited to producing truly psychedlic music.

define?

Red five said:

You know how impossible that is... All I can say is it's something that does a hell of a lot more than make my feet move - something that really really makes my brain tick over.

Back