Where to live & make music???

andrew

open your mind
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
2
ok, so I'm one of the v.lucky ones, with a basement flat, outside area including space which when enclosed with a wall (that we built) has become a wicked studio space. no problems with the noise. in central london.

i didn't realise it when i moved in, was living in the front room of the house and getting loads of noise complaints, then moved studio to a space near the kitchen which was also bad, pots n pans bangin while i was trying to compose ;-)

then decided to bite the bullet, get a skip and cart away all the rubbish outside and paint and build a wall from plasterboard and wood batons.. thanks to my mate who is a good carpenter, we did it, was a bit of work, about 6 weekends worth ... however totally worth it.

my suggestion, perhaps look at a few properties, think of taking a long lease if you're renting and ask the landlord if they mind you building some temporary structure (ie a plasterbd wall)??

good luck with it .


Andrew
 

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Location
London, UK
andrew said:
then decided to bite the bullet, get a skip and cart away all the rubbish outside and paint and build a wall from plasterboard and wood batons.. thanks to my mate who is a good carpenter, we did it, was a bit of work, about 6 weekends worth ... however totally worth it.

my suggestion, perhaps look at a few properties, think of taking a long lease if you're renting and ask the landlord if they mind you building some temporary structure (ie a plasterbd wall)??

hey andrew...

sounds like a good plan actually, but just to clarify - do you mean extend the existing building into the garden by building one external wall out of wood etc (wood I guess because 'non permanent' structures avoid planning permission) or do you mean utilize 3 sides of an existing garden wall away from the building and make it a room with one wall (& a roof!)

It would obviously need to be disconnected from any shared walls (except perhaps garden walls)

3 thing's that I'm wondering:

I would expect some sound to escape from a wood/plasterboard structure.. what did you do to make it more sound-proof?

what about security?

will insurance still be valid in what they may see as a garden shed?
 

andrew

open your mind
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
2
Hello mr wizard :

We have a semi enclosed patio at basement level, at the back of some victorian flats. We took advantage of 3 walls already existing (basically it is a space which already had 3 walls and a roof, with the upstairs neighbors garden up above) .

On either side of my studio i've just got peoples back gardens and a very solid wall going thru to our kitchen. The plasterboad wall (insulated with polystyrene)
stops some of the mids going thru, but none of the subs, but that sound just reflects off another wall on the far side of the patio and doesn't really go any futher. When I have it UBER FUCKING loud (as in, when someone comes over and i want to impress them with the sound, like 100db or something at a guess) u can hear the kick in our flat, but at normal monitoring levels (don't monitor that loud) and when it turn it up so it's loud enough that i can dance around and appreciate the music as a dancer, it's no problem at all

We put a door in the wall which has a lock, and yes, since the lock is decent my insurance company (endsleigh) has okayed it hunky dory

here is a pic of my space, a mostly software based studio :Smile3:

http://www.andrewsden.net/MyStudio-Sept2005.jpg

in the pic we are facing the equipment, with the plasterboard wall we built and a couch behind us. u can see the dimensions, it's pretty well 3m * 3m

~bless the gods for i can create music and have a kik drum fest, and ye gods know i have suffered~

I think the fact that it's a basement is v.important as it means you've already got a few walls and ceilings around the place, so maybe look around for basement flats with a patio area

hope this helps

Andrew


lil'wizard said:
hey andrew...

sounds like a good plan actually, but just to clarify - do you mean extend the existing building into the garden by building one external wall out of wood etc (wood I guess because 'non permanent' structures avoid planning permission) or do you mean utilize 3 sides of an existing garden wall away from the building and make it a room with one wall (& a roof!)

It would obviously need to be disconnected from any shared walls (except perhaps garden walls)

3 thing's that I'm wondering:

I would expect some sound to escape from a wood/plasterboard structure.. what did you do to make it more sound-proof?

what about security?

will insurance still be valid in what they may see as a garden shed?
 

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Location
London, UK
andrew said:
Hello mr wizard :

We have a semi enclosed patio at basement level, at the back of some victorian flats. We took advantage of 3 walls already existing (basically it is a space which already had 3 walls and a roof, with the upstairs neighbors garden up above) .


We put a door in the wall which has a lock, and yes, since the lock is decent my insurance company (endsleigh) has okayed it hunky dory


I think the fact that it's a basement is v.important as it means you've already got a few walls and ceilings around the place, so maybe look around for basement flats with a patio area

hey Andrew...

Many thanks for the description, it's helping get my head round it a bit... but I'm still a bit confused though about the layout.

You have a basement patio with a roof with someones garden on top?

:iconfused

I never seen such a thing... but a garden sounds perfect to absorb sound!

So one wall is your kitchen, the side walls presumably garden walls or walls that seperate your basement patio space from that of your neighbours, the roof already existed... And the bass doesn't travel through the side walls/kitchen wall into the rest of the flats?

Sorry to be a pain but I really want to get this clear cos it sounds like the most achievable solution I've heard so far!

do you perhaps have a floor plan/sketch???

:ismile:

thanks again... bill
 

andrew

open your mind
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
2
ok dude - I've just done a vague property layout in mspaint (not the architecture award)

http://www.andrewsden.net/vaguePropertyLayout.jpg

basically in the pic, the upstairs (grnd floor) neighbor's garden is above my patio / studio

all the outside walls are solid brick so not much goes thru em.
from the above description you've made you've pretty well got it right.

Andrew
 

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Location
London, UK
andrew said:
ok dude - I've just done a vague property layout in mspaint

hey thanks a lot!

yes it makes sense & was pretty much what I thought...

Looks like a good idea.

I'm looking at basement/ground floor flats at the mo... was actually thinking to make a non-permanent structure seperated from the building... maybe just like your setup but with a slight gap between kitchen/studio... like a double wall to stop it thumping into the building.

You don't get bass travelling through the kitchen wall & into the flats above?

The other option I have is to borrow a lot more & get this detached converted warehouse (with big garden spece) with 4 spare rooms that I could rent out... It's tempting cos it's an awesome place to live n work but then I have to rely on 4 other people to pay their rent on time...

man I am getting properly confused & a bit stressed with all this so thanks for your advice!
 

andrew

open your mind
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
2
no i don't get bass thumpin into kitchen wall coz

a) my speakers face the wall we built, not the kitchen wall.
b) the kitchen wall is fucking thick and not much goes thru it.
c) I rarely have it loud enough to get it through solid walls and up to the flats above - only when i crank it up to 11 does it go thru the walls, and because I'm not that keen on contracting full time tinnitus I don't have it that loud all the time. I can have it at a level just below where my ears hurt, 24 *7, with no neighbor intervention.

laters...

Andrew
 

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Messages
5,723
Reaction score
246
Location
London
mm looks like a nice space to work in Andrew :Grin:

Personally, I live in a flat... luckily neighbours below also like doof doof music (except more the French house kinda style) so when I do work loudly and "dance-test" the track isn't too bad.

I never actually work loudly anyway, I always mix at a low volume, because:

a. when it sounds good soft, it's sounds better loud :Wink3: (and it's more satisfying then... hearing your mix fucking loud for the first time = great)

b. i already have a form of tinnitus (not related to hearing damage - but from oversensitivity to sound :Sad: ) so although it helps when listening softly, listening loud is fucking painful when I'm right infront of said monitors for hours.


What I do at night is turn it down a tad more and then work with a basic e.q. on the track to reduce the bass by a certain amount... It stops people from hearing it in the other flats (it's the bass that carries through walls) and also it gives me a great opportunity to focus and work on the actual sounds, and the mid-to high frequencies; instead of letting the secret bass-monster dominate my ears all the time.

Plus... when you've worked softly and without much bass... and you turn your speakers on in the (late) morning to have the first proper listen of the day; it's (almost) always a damn enjoyable experience.
 
Top