Where to live & make music???

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
Reaction score
i'm finding it hard to find a suitable place to re-locate our studio to. i really need to live in the same place as i work all hours, but of course we make quite a lot of noise... so this is a problem in most residential setups...

solution up until now has been sharing detached residential properties and setting up the studio as far away from bedrooms as possible... This obviously requires big expensive property & you still irritate everyone in the house to some degree.

So does anyone have any solutions/ideas to what must be a problem for most people making doof doof doof 24/7...

>>squatting big property - security issues & not very stable to run a business from.

>>renting big detached property - expensive.

>>renting seperate studio space - inconvenient, extra expense & without the relaxed vibe we have working from where we live.

anybody found a solution...?

apart from leaving london - need to be here for work.

thanks...

age old dilemma .....

tbh the best solution is getting used to monitoring at low volume ...... :iyes:

sorry for not being much help ...... I know your situation .... have been moving my/our studio around for years now ..... there is almost no way of keeping everyone happy (well, including yourself!! ) ..... good luck :Smile3:

I agree with Mr ThreeandTwenty...I once rented a space in an industrial unit (ex gasworks) and build my studio in there. It was an expensive disaster - driving down there each day felt suspiciously like going to work and it was a boring place to be if the music wasn't flowing.

Now my studio is basically wherever my pc is, and I work at low volume, often writing (NEVER mixing) on headphones if its really late. Working at reasonable volume is actually better because your ears tire much more slowly and you keep objective for longer...

When a tunes ready to mix then I send the family away for a sunday afternoon and crank the fucker :Smile3:

jamez_23 said:
tbh the best solution is getting used to monitoring at low volume
sorry for not being much help ...... I know your situation .... have been moving my/our studio around for years now ..... there is almost no way of keeping everyone happy (well, including yourself!! ) ..... good luck :Smile3:

thanks...

but I just can't see how I can get used to making music that is meant to be heard really loud really quiet. It just doesn't work for me... I can't get in the flow so easy, at least sometimes it has to be loud enough to get us jumping round the studio!! :irofl:

Continuum said:
I agree with Mr ThreeandTwenty...I once rented a space in an industrial unit (ex gasworks) and build my studio in there. It was an expensive disaster - driving down there each day felt suspiciously like going to work and it was a boring place to be if the music wasn't flowing.

yeah this is what I'm worried about..!

Yeah working as a lower volume is better as if it sounds good low it will sound good high where as if it sounds good high it can sound shit low. Haveing siad that. Could it be possible to find a place with a celler?

haha ha a !!!

Iain and I both used to live in a house with a cellar ...... we whacked the studio down there for ooooo ..... about two months at one stage ....

The whole fucking street rumbled !!!! Seriously it was like the cellar amplified the music even more !! and it was tres damp ... we stuck a dehumidifier in there and we were pulling a couple of litres of water out every couple of days ...... :lol:

Very disconcerting sitting watching tv in the living room with this humungous rumble happening beneath your feet .....

Cellars can be good I'm sure - but this one wasn't .... :irofl:

Lil' wizard ... yeah - it needs to be loud sometimes but not all the time ..... you really do have to get used to working at low volumes ... I gather you are used to having it blaring at the moment .... sooner or later though you will have to turn it down .... dont worry though - I did'nt turn it down until I was about 30 ..... :irofl:

Jamez that wasn't the music rumbling that was the grabiods from tremors trying to get you.

psyfi said:
Jamez that wasn't the music rumbling that was the grabiods from tremors trying to get you.

no NO !! :eek:

I have spent the last 5 years trying to convince myself that this wasn't the case .....

*runs from the grabiods*

eeeeeep !!!

:lol:

Just thourght if you are giong to start working a lower volumes then listen to lots of other peoples music at that volume. kind of like learning your monitors all over again but at low volume.

i too am in the low to medium volume camp. and tbh i dont think you get to hear the tracks detail when its cranked to raaass

anyways your track will have to work at high and low volumes so get used to both

I am a gardener by trade and am lickily enough to have a house on site with my studio in spare room. Although I live in west london I have no neibours.

Try contacting the national trust of similar as there are plenty of green pockets in london and I'me sure you can find the odd isolated house/gardeners cottage to rent. Probably do you good too. :iwink:

makdaddy said:
i too am in the low to medium volume camp. and tbh i dont think you get to hear the tracks detail when its cranked to raaass

anyways your track will have to work at high and low volumes so get used to both

i don't need it max vol all the time but it's good to test it out hi at least a couple times a day. and yeah you hear the detail much better & your ears don't get fatigue etc at lower levels... but sometimes you gotta 'crank it to raaas' u know u do!!!

in most places i find u really couldn't even play it medium vol after 9pm. This doof finds it's way through walls n floors n ceilings...

:icry:

lil'wizard said:
I'm 32.. There's no hope for me honestly I'm a speaker junky!:ibiggrin:

:irofl:

Good luck though, if you do find somewhere can I come round ? :ismile:

i've that problem since i started producing too and i must say i'm one of those persons that doesn't like to hear music too loud (i feel a bit of claustrophobia when i do it).

i think the biggest problem is the people livin in the apartment under. i think those are the ones that suffer the most with the bass/kick.

at the mo' i'm moving to a old old building with an attic (the owners call it a duplex). I think that will help if i place my studio in the attic because under the attic will be my own living room and i wont get bothered by myself (maybe my imaginary evil twin brother will but i want him to move anyway :irolleyes )

i'm really hoping the attic will be fine for the studio acoustically speaking, otherwise i'll be in big trouble again (and broke because the expenses of moving to this house are enourmous).

once i lived over a mad womens house that called the police many times. she accused me and the people sharing the appartment of listening music too loud and banging our feets into the floor just to upset her. so i think it also matters who your neighbours are and how tolerant they are.

Johnny Digital said:

i'm really hoping the attic will be fine for the studio acoustically speaking, otherwise i'll be in big trouble again

once i lived over a mad womens house that called the police many times.

my last 2 places have been attics... it's ok but to be honest when it's at maximum you can hear & feel the doof in the basement & that's 2 floors down..!

I've also had mad neighbours who called the police..!

2 classic quotes from my ex neighbour, actually a very sweet old lady:

'it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for that boom boom boom boom'

and once when my friend arrived at my front door to find her there already knocking to complain:

'he won't hear you. he's deaf you know...'

oops.

started with a little production session last night around 9pm..at about 10.30 i switched to headphones (which i always get carried away with volume wise as HD25's sound so phat when you crank em a little, although very tiring on the listener) aynywhoo... about 12.45am i suddenly noticed the 2 little blue leds....oh fuck! my monitors had been powered on the whole time...lol..should imagine that was fairly thumping

no doubt my neighbours will be pissed at me today :Grin: they could have been knocking last night for all i know, i had it blatting on the headphones :badger:

Back