which RAM for my laptop?

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
asked Joe about this, he told me and then i forgot doh! i want to upgrade my Toshiba Satellite A-40 Pro (click for spec) to 1GB of RAM, which kind do i need? as i understand theres different sorts for different types of computer? cheers.
also, i was gonna buy the memory on ebay. is there any better/cheaper places to get RAM for laptop?
:Smile3:

i like www.scan.co.uk - they have never messed me around -although i know others on the board have issues wih their courier services - i was looking at memory for my desktop last night and the prices seemed to be on the side of reasonable

that was helpful. i still wouldnt mind someone doing the research i have no idea how to do to confirm what this says. :Grin:
:Grin::Grin::Grin:
/edit: would this work?

in response to edit: I reckon so, but grab a copy of SiSoft Sandra lite, which ill tell you what you've already got and how many ports are available. etc etc etc.

I used 2700 ram for years with a 533mhz CPU with no problems 2100 should be fine... I think toshiba use generic mobos, so no problem*

*disclaimer : I have made hideous terrible fuck ups with hardware before. Don't take my word for it.

EDIT: DDR ram is very accomodating. Don't worry toooooo much. Most of what you can easily buy today will work just fine. Don't buy really fast stuff, because your CPU cannot take advantage of it. Either 2100 or 2700 will be great, unless there are any weird motherboard issues, your computer should run at the speed of the slowest stick.

ca
c
ca

cas Latency:CL 2.5Cas Latency:CL 2.5

cas latency at CL2.5 - thats a bit shite - the memory goes through 2.5 clock cycles before passing data through and the front side bus speed is pretty slow and your machine can only be a fast as the slowest fsb speed of any part of it - the specs for your machine show the fsb of the chip to be 533mhz SO if what i have been led to understand is correct that memory effectively slows your processor down to 266mhz as that is the fsb of the memory and the bottleneck will be there

looking foward to see if i am wrong here as this is something i have had on my mind recently with thinking about new memory for my desktop

sit me down in front of music software and im ur man, but i know relatively nothing about computers... well i have an okay general knowledge, but i'm not confident in my own knowledge.

I'm not sure that the difference will be that great in terms of subjective performance. Speed of memory in audio work is not very important, if you play shit loads of games, then maybe but otherwise save your money I reckon.

I've built several PC's now. I'm no guru, but I can hold my own

admitedly my interest is in shoving big video files around.......................................

i just cant stand the audio dropouts and crackling sound. i thought some more memory would help stop those? i did most of the XP DAW Optimization stuff. i wanna take my laptop out and play at gigs on ableton! arghhh! at only 256MB at the moment, is memory upgrade not the next step?

Shit

I get that on a 3700+ Athlon 64 with 1 gig of very quick ram.

What sound card have you got, what latency are you running at, when did you last update the drivers and how hard are you loading the CPU?

yes you want more ram too, and yes, a gig is a good amount. Windows XP isn't very happy with less then 512 imho.

you may also want to consider a hard drive that spins at 7200 or over with a nice fast transfer rate, that can really help with audio dropouts, especially if you are streaming from disc.

Basically, for audio work, more RAM will only show a massive difference past 512mb if you are really into samplers.

Speakafreaka said:
Basically, for audio work, more RAM will only show a massive difference past 512mb if you are really into samplers.

Well yeah usually but da man Ory said he was using Live and that loads samples into memory so it could be a factor.

HD speed and processor speed are also important.

What's the CPU meter doing when you get dropouts and crackles?

Continuum said:
Well yeah usually but da man Ory said he was using Live and that loads samples into memory so it could be a factor.

HD speed and processor speed are also important.

What's the CPU meter doing when you get dropouts and crackles?

the CPU levels in the toolbar in cubase like jump and peak for a split second here and there. even if there's little CPU there in the first place. people have said that this is background processes but i wouldnt even know how to stop those.
edit: i know this is probably a jaw-droppingly terrible knowledge of/approach to computing for some of you out there.

Fromem_Ory said:
people have said that this is background processes but i wouldnt even know how to stop those.

Almost certainly the case.
i can help you out here, Alex.
Once you've got the memory, let's get together and i'll tune your PC up for you, if you like...

we're not far from each other, after all...

Back