Which Soundcard To Get?

SketchySteve

No Social Conscience
Reaction score
Hello,

Me an Dimitri messing around with Logic last night persuded me that I really did need to start making some music. The only thing stopping me atm is my crappy (onboard!) sound.

I would love some advice on the best sound cards for the production of psy / techno using Cubase. Price would have to be around £100.

Any ideas?

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
I would bang on about Echo Gina 20 till I'm blue in the face cus I love um. Just picked up myt fourth one off ebay for £42.00 incl P & P. Sounds great with digital in out 2 analouge ins and eight analouge outs. No midi but you could pick up a midisport 2x2 or 4x4 on ebay for around £30.00 and midi through usb is faster than midi through PCI or so I think. Now the question is what monitors you should get to go with what soundcard you get. Oh my oh my. Will it never end? The answer is no it never does. What midi controller, what synth, what mixer. Welcome to the vortex of music production.:ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :ibiggrin:

SteveJ...

Boo!
Reaction score
You'll be hard pushed to find anything with the Emu's capability at that price - been using the 1212m for a year and would recommend it - the hardware and routing options are second to none at the price and the drivers have been much improved since initial problems.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
SteveJ... said:
You'll be hard pushed to find anything with the Emu's capability at that price - been using the 1212m for a year and would recommend it - the hardware and routing options are second to none at the price and the drivers have been much improved since initial problems.

It's still Creative by any other name - trust 'em as far as you can throw 'em.

Second-Hand Echo Gina route enthusiastically seconded. :Smile3:

J.

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
JP - I (and many others) had really bad support experiences with Emu's last hardware synth line, but I don't know if that experience will relate to Emu's current sound-cards and sampling system.

Don't even get me started on the software support for the E1V samplers!

:Wink3:

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Purusha said:
JP - I (and many others) had really bad support experiences with Emu's last hardware synth line, but I don't know if that experience will relate to Emu's current sound-cards and sampling system.

Creative's schtick tends to be relatively nice hardware at attractive prices, let down by appalling driver implementation. It would appear that the first generation of E-mu branded Creative sound cards had the same dodgy driver issues as the SBLive series (munching 33% of the PCI bus even when idle, atrocious downsampling artefacts when using anything other than 48kHz, or whatever the native sample rate of the chip is).

J.

SteveJ...

Boo!
Reaction score
The Emu line uses an Audigy processor for the DSP but then they did make the Emu10K chip for Creative :Wink3: The bottom line with Emu at the moment seems to be the hardware is first rate but let down by the software (same old Creative story) but since the 1.8 drivers the ASIO performance has been greatly improved. At £120 for the 1212m I'd have no hesitation in recommending them.

On the support issue - like any major company Tech support can take a while especially if RMA's are involved but as far as I know they are pretty good once they get on it. On the Emu forum recently someone asked about buying a replacement PCMCIA card for the 1616m as they had lost it - he got in touch with Emu and they sent him a replacement card for nowt, just told him to be more careful.
Gotta give em credit for that :Wink3:

silky

meh...
Reaction score
psyfi said:
Sounds great with digital in out 2 analouge ins and eight analouge outs. No midi but you could pick up a midisport 2x2 or 4x4 on ebay for around £30.00 and midi through usb is faster than midi through PCI or so I think.

Nah man. any USB eats cpu cycles like theres no tomorrow. USB was an addition to the standard m/b components and as such everything has to go thru a device driver, then a usb driver before goin on to the bus. i wouldnt touch a usb midi (or anything important) device with a bargepole, which is why i bought an old serial midi interface off ebay which gives me 4 ins and 4 outs all patchable with upto 64 midi channels, all for 15 quid!

not to mention how over priced they are. midi interfaces used to be cheaper 15 years ago for the old Amiga's and 486's

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
at the speed processors go now, itz not really an issue imo, I use USB midi controller, but then my system is a dual proc, I use the Midi in/out for my synth, I get allot better response from the keyboard thru USB than Midi, even with the audiophile

Pricey

Ontologist
Reaction score
Anyone had much experience with Laptop soundcards? Is it best to do the 'internal' thing with PCI, or fit an external card? Processor speed isn't a worry, so USB could be an option.

I've heard good things about the Echo Indigo, but don't know if there's something more suitable for the price. If it's anywhere near as good as the Echo Gina then I'm settled - I'll be getting that.

M

makdaddy

Pricey said:
Anyone had much experience with Laptop soundcards? Is it best to do the 'internal' thing with PCI, or fit an external card? Processor speed isn't a worry, so USB could be an option.

I've heard good things about the Echo Indigo, but don't know if there's something more suitable for the price. If it's anywhere near as good as the Echo Gina then I'm settled - I'll be getting that.

you will have to go external, ie. firewire or USB as laptops do not have PCI Busses like desktops / towers do.

i'd be inclined to go down the firewire route myself (assuming you have firewire on yer lappy)

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
I have to say that the USB=processor hog meme is a bit of a misnomer - I've had far better response out of my Edirol USB MIDI box than I ever got out of the SB Live or gameport MIDI interfaces I had.

Makdaddy - PCMCIA cards?

J.

M

makdaddy

JPsychodelicacy said:
PCMCIA cards?.

ooh yeah, forgot about thats little slot :rolleyes:

they seem to get overlooked alot, are they anygood ?

SteveJ...

Boo!
Reaction score
From what I've read about MIDI implenetation supposedly the better choice is the soundcard midi port followed by serial followed by USB but the difference will be negligible in most cases.

If I was buying a laptop interface I'd go with a PCMCIA solution - you get direct buss access then the same as a PCI card on a desktop. Emu 1616m is supposed to be very good .... :Grin:

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Emu = Creative = shit.

I can't believe otherwise sane people would recommend it...

(Sorry, I just really want to see them go bust, in much the same way as I do Apple and Microsoft :Wink3: )

J.