which sub monitor?

6, 24 Lotus

elo chaps

the not so often asked question of which sub monitor should i buy?

specifically, this one would be complementing a pair of behringer truths, so similar price & quality level

any ideas?

evilwill

definitely
Reaction score
tis a good question - i've often wondered whether having a sub connected to my setup would be useful... surely without a decnt one you're not going to have the best idea what the low end will sound like on a rig?

i've recently found a place in bristol which will hire you a room with a couple of sofas, a big desk and a rig for about £7/hr, thinking of going along to bang out some tunes and play with eqs for a bit, to get a feel for what needs doing to make stuff sound phat on a rig...

M

makdaddy

yeah - ive had this idea too will

theres a couple of remote rehearsal spaces around MK for around the same price, hire em for the night- stick in a couple of K's of sound (the guy with the rig wants to stick 4k in!) , bring the computer along and get eq'ing

sweet.

really need to get the ball rolling with this...

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
makdaddy said:
yeah - ive had this idea too will

theres a couple of remote rehearsal spaces around MK for around the same price, hire em for the night- stick in a couple of K's of sound (the guy with the rig wants to stick 4k in!) , bring the computer along and get eq'ing

sweet.

really need to get the ball rolling with this...
Thats the way to do it! Friend of mine has a sub, and TBH its a bit much for the 'domestic environment'. To put it another way, his Mrs nearly crapped herself :irofl:

ichabod

Reaction score
A few months ago I finally got around to connecting my hi-fi sub up to my monitor system. It's not a pro audio sub but is still fairly nice - think it cost around 300quid (got it a very long time ago!). Anyway, it is seriously sweet having it there filling out the bottom end... my monitors aren't huge, although allegedly the -3dB point is at 45Hz so shouldn't be too bad. The trick I have found is to turn the sub right down then slowly turn it up until you can just detect its presence.

The sub really helps with mixing the bass - I previously always mixed way too bassy! Well worth getting one for annyone with small/medium monitors... not sure if you need to splash out loads or not - it would be interesting to A-B mine with a proper monitor sub. I reckon as long as you only use it for the very deep bass <80Hz it shouldn't make that much difference? might well be wrong though!