who here plays guitar?

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
any guitarists around? just curious...
how long have you been playing? what guitar have you got? what's your favorite style, and are you trying to learn any songs at the moment?

as my electric (Jackson) is at my old house, i've been playing on a smaller classical guitar recently which has been great to develope my fingerpicking... learning Nick Drakes 'One of These Things First' today... ongoing process, trying to learn the solo from Panteras cover of Planet Caravan, blaaatently need the electric back for that one, and also 'Day at the Beach' by Joe Satriani, double-handed tapping ouuuuch!

lets hear it...
:rocker:

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
MY bro Micropod has played guitar for years. He has an ibanez jem and plays all the Joe Satriani tunes. And a bit of Steve Via but Joe is the boy so...

I fiddle about with guitar my self but I'm no Axe king by any measure. I pop a little bit in my tunes every now and then but only after allot of takes. Oh the shame.

LittleWing

Forum Member
Reaction score
mee. i've got a fender mexican telecaster, i play all sorts, but i love to play along to dylan the most. I remember learning Satriani - Always with me always with you, or something a while back, lovely tune.

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
always with me always with you is beauuutiful... solo's a bit difficult though!

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Reaction score
I'm touching myself as I write this post.
I played bass for ages and dabbled with 6 string but stopped in my early 20's and sold my guitar (d'oh), didn't touch a one for ages then I got the urge to play again last year and Deadgirl bought me a lovely Fender dreadnaught acoustic for Christmas.

Currently playing about getting my technique back when I get time, dicking about with chords and scales and stuff and strumming along to the likes of Freebird, Wish You Were Here and easy open chord stuff like that. Keep having a go at Soundgardens Black Hole Sun but am finding it hard going.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
1xStrat 1xTele 1x12-string 1xTakamine (and my songwriting acoutic Ovation copy which pretty much goes everywhere with me :Wink3:)

I'm more an indie "jangly-style" player than shred monster, but I reckon everyone has to approach it differently, else what's the point?

I really need to start playing again.

J.

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Early 90's Custom Strat with Kahler mechanisms. Humbuckers furthest from the neck and 2 Fender noiseless pickups in middle and neck position.

Been playing on and off for 13 years or so. Not brilliant by any means, but confident enough to play in front of people - done Cabbage a few times and several Mindscapes with Pascal (OVNI).

I'm more of a Steve Hillage / Andy Summers fan...

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
this Nick Drake song i'm learning at the moment is quite difficult, in terms of getting the picking... i've never done proper fingerpicking before, always done what i thought to be fingerpicking. anyone any good at the rigid finger styles on acoustic? wierd tunings galore...

giorgos

Junior Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I play some guitar once in a while, I have been playing for quite a while but sort of abandoned it these last years trying to get my head around electronic music. I like all the Satriani/Vai stuff, also Ozric Tentacles type of tunes, too. Usually I will plug the guitar into Guitar Rig for some crazy stuff and effects, hopefully will get some riffs down one of these days, thanks for reminding me!

jooncoi

rock...paper...SHOTGUN
Reaction score
my brother fender acoustic till i buy own

as for playing....i try to play mexican or spanish classical
lots of finger plucky stuff

Firinne

Just a girl
Reaction score
I used to play a lot in my teens, but my ex flogged my guitar when I was 17 and I never found another I felt could replace it so I drifted away from it over time. I bought myself a Crafter electro-acoustic last year with the intention of restarting, shamefully it's covered in dust though. I stopped playing it again when I was doing catch up on coursework after 3 months off with glandular fever and haven't really found the time to get back into it yet. I really should do something about that!

ravefeind

Junior Members
Reaction score
yer i play guitar and have been 4 about 4 or 5 years and luv it ive got a white fender strat wiv emg pickups 2 single coil and one humbucker at the bridge it looks and sounds the nuts and i love playin allsorts on my guitar i luv it

Pocket Fluff

Reaction score
Fromem_Ory said:
this Nick Drake song i'm learning at the moment is quite difficult, in terms of getting the picking... i've never done proper fingerpicking before, always done what i thought to be fingerpicking. anyone any good at the rigid finger styles on acoustic? wierd tunings galore...

Nick Drake always used to play in strange open tunings...sometimes the low E string would be higher in pitch than the A. He also used all four fingers and his thumb for picking.

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
i play but not as much as i would like :Smile3:

i have a vester which is a really rare ameri-korean PRS copy, or should i say 'inspired range'. it's a gorgeous instrument in its own right - really thick, honey-laden, bluesy, warm cuddle-like timbre to it.

i have a valvestate80 which has a 120 cone in it & used to be owned by Machinehead (for it is them!) and hence is pretty comprehensively fucked up :Grin: actually the first channel is fine and dandy and it certainly has that valve warmth to it.

i play it in live sets occasionally :Smile3: and i often use it to record fx / leads in pasy, breaks and ambient stuffs.

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
yeah it's scaryloud for a single cone :Smile3:

i have never had to turn it up past 6 :Grin:

out of interest anyone know of a decent string shop which does services in the midlands? i've basically abused my guitar :Sad: by never having the cash to have it given a nice hows-your-humbucker from a professional...

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
^i actually use that sample on the opening track for my album :Smile3:

'one louder?'

wakadooo

Spiral time traveller
Reaction score
Ive got a Jaydee flying V , hooked up to a Roland Gr33 (midi pickup-controller) , which in turn triggers my Virus b , its a really cool way to bang riffs into a midi sequencer ...just wish i could play like Satch tho .