Wild Things Compilation: Wild Rumpus

psy-sweep

Carbon-based lifeform
Reaction score
WILD RUMPUS SWEEPS LONDON!
BREAKING NEWS!
It appears that a number of London residents, innocently twiddling their knobs on Saturday night accidentally tuned into Tube Radio 103.8 and were thrown in the deep end of Beardy's twisted misbehaviour and EVP's mind-expanding meltdown.

Mrs Persil of Pinner said,
I was only looking for a traffic report on the roadworks at Hanger lane, tuned into Tube Radio, and accidentally fried my brain!
Mr Gumby of Plaistow said
I haven't danced so much since I got my haemorrhoid ointment mixed up with the chili sauce!
Mrs Gumby said
I thought that kebab tasted funny, but I dig dat crazy London psy-sound!

If you appreciate the distinctive, fromage-free London underground sound, you might like to know that some of England's finest psy artists, EVP, Hoodwink, Error Corrective and Reality Grid have got together in the true spirit of co-operation, with help from Beardy Weirdy, Spiney and others to make " Wild Rumpus", out now on their very own label - Wild Things Records. If you'd like to support your local boys, it's a lot of good music for £8.50 from www.psyshop.com or www.chaosunlimited.co.uk
[/plug]

wildcd01.jpg

This is going to be one of the most useful tools in any caselogic over the next few months!

Just the right combination of funk and psychedelia with a night-time edge and a morning grin! Well done Alex and everyone else involved with this project, I can safely say it is evidence that the London scene remains at the forefront of psytrance development and its also incredibly refreshing to buy a release that is rich in material and not just two or three 'good' tracks. Wild Rumpus is not only exciting in itself as a top release, but the potential album releases from Hoodwink, Evp and Reality Grid are mouth watering and on there way! (I dont know if error corrective are planning a release?)!

Anyway - enough rambling and more listening. Congratulations guys.

And over in Regent's Park, one resident in receipt of the Wild Rumpus CD yesterday morning had to fight off people trying to persuade her to set up a phone link on her computer and play it down the phone at them ...

CRACKING stuff. Gnarly, dirty, twisted, all those words, and STOMPING! Loved it and I've only played it twice, more tonight!

discostu said:
(I dont know if error corrective are planning a release?)!

Nix and Dan are currently finishing their first CD, due for release on the Wild Things label in the near future. Think London's back on the psytrance
map again - its about time, and just as the Israelis thought they'd got away with it... :Grin:

Review

Figured it was good thread to post the review... This was originally posted (by me, duh) at Sonic-energy.net

Compilation:
Wild Rumpus

Label: Wild Things Records

Year: 2005

Format: CD

Web: http://www.wildthingsrecords.co.uk/

13563704_5ec3e80054_o.jpg

Label Info:
Mark (aka Beardy), Alex (aka EVP) and Mr.S (Spiney) have all been producing music and organizing parties & outdoor events since the early 90's around London and South England. Since then, they have been refining their taste in psychedelic music to a point where the record label was the next logical step.

Songs:
01. Hoodwink - Bad Machine (145 BPM's on E m)
02. Hoodwink - Chronik (147 on BPM's on E m)
03. Reality Grid - Crystalline Phases
(145 on BPM's on F m)
04. Reality Grid - Quantum Bits (145 BPM's on F m)
05. Evp - Cosmic Console (145 BPM's on C m)
06. Evp - Digi-talkin (145 BPM's on E m)
07. Evp - Robotiks (145 BPM's on C m)
08. Error Corrective - Phlon (147 BPM's on C m)
09. Error Corrective - Cyclic Transformation
(144 BPM's on C m)

The Highlights:
I was a bit apprehensive to find a compilation involving three artists from a new record label filling out the totality of the songs. This is usually a sign the CD is either really bad, or really good. Fortunately I was pleasantly surprised to find a number of great new tunes to add to the pile. The sound is consistent from the first to last track emitting a new-wave industrial benchmark, remaining unthreatening and groovy. The production lends itself perfectly as basic building blocks of a mix, to easily overlay melodic strings and arrangements on the higher frequencies.

The first track marks the pace for what to expect throughout this compilation. Bass lines so bouncy I can’t help but smile like little kid in a candy store. The sound is minimal, organized and devoid of melodies, with the exception of the magnetically synthesized sounds like drones in mid coitus.

The project is composed of Alex Diplock from EVP and Leon, a Brighton based project presenting solid drum work with a progressive structure, counting the ‘rotor-blade’ sound immersed in squelchy effects.

EVP stands for Electronic Virtual Psychedelia. In this particular song the 16 beat bass line paves the road alongside a solid kick while the robotik’s warm up for full-force mechanical prowess. The sound is dying to be played in forests when the magic occurs and all the audience wants are powerful beats to dance the night away.

Samples provided by the Wild Things website.
You can pick it @ psyshop

Tribe of Frog have some excellent samples from this album up on their site.
Error Corrective - Cyclic Transformation is probably my fav at the moment.
As I type the album is winging its way to me. Just in time as my neighbours are on holidays and I just got a new mixer. Huzzah!

V/A – Wild Rumpus

wildrumpus800by8001gz.jpg

High-res: cover

Artist: Various (UK)
Title: Wild Rumpus
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Wild Thing Records (UK)
Cat. #: WILD CD 001
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: May 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’09†Hoodwink – Bad Machine
02. 07’18†Hoodwink - Chronic
03. 06’26†Reality Grid – Crystalline Phases
04. 06’47†Reality Grid – Quantum Bits
05. 07’00†EVP – Cosmic Console
06. 06’34†EVP - Digitalkin
07. 06’58†EVP - Robotiks
08. 07’25†Error Corrective - Phlon
09. 07’32†Error Corrective – Cyclic Transformation

2-minute samples: http://tinyurl.com/794wk (all tracks)

Review:

UK Underground representz!

Wild Thing Records is the brainchild of Mark (Beardy), Alex (EVP) and Mr S (Spiney) – a bunch of well-established psyheads from the UK underground scene… They’ve been producing music and organizing parties since the dawn of time – and now they’ve decided to go global with their newly established record label… Wild Rumpus is the first release showcasing the crème de la crème of the UK underground… Besides Error Corrective all these names are new to me, so I have no idea what I’m getting into here… Let’s find out…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Hoodwink – Bad Machine [145 BPM]
“Do you know anything about time travel?†Hoodwink is Kelton Jones and this is his first track ever released… The mood is established after a couple of seconds – the intro is downright mean and as soon as the first kick hits your eardrums you know what time it is… It’s night-time! Kelton tweaks his knobs like a madman and the acid is coming out the woodwork… Deep, raw and wriggling psytrance – with a relentless dark spin… This is truly the sound of the underground! I really like the first half of the track, but I’m afraid it looses some of its potency towards the end – it gets a little too gritty and minimal even for my taste… But overall a nice track and a solid debut!

#02: Hoodwink – Chronic [147 BPM]
I saved my most interesting piece of Hoodwink trivia for this, the second track – Kelton is working on his debut album now which should be ready for release this year… Sweet! Anyway, this is one of the fastest tracks here – again with a very sweet, atmospheric intro… The track itself is dark and moody – with an industrial edge… The blunt, yet phat rhythm section and the metallic hisses add to the sinister mayhem… I dig the middle part where Kelton unleashes the digital farts and electronic burps… Helps lift this track out of the luring stand-still swamp…

#03: Reality Grid – Crystalline Phases [145 BPM]
Reality Grid is Leon Kane & Alex Diplock (EVP) from Brighton… This is a super-psychedelic track with a distinct darkish underground sound… Multilayered meth-trance with flaring acid-lines and melodies well-hidden somewhere behind the massive rhythm section … Oh, and check out the cool break! I also can’t help but emphasize the very clever use of stereo FX here – put on your cans and let thyself be shaken! Very cool track – only gripe is that it is too short…

#04: Reality Grid – Quantum Bits [145 BPM]
More blistering barnacles from Brighton here…The first couple of minutes are used to slowly build tension before full mayhem is unleashed… Halfway through, the track is in full FX with tons of trippy elements, bleeps and blops… Very underground – very trippy! And hey – these guys are also working on an album… Should be interesting!

#05: EVP – Cosmic Console [145 BPM]
EVP is Alex Diplock from Reality Grid on his own… And damn, his many years of training as a musician and DJ has paid off… This is a monstrous track! Somewhere in between mad Swedish forest trance and the raging Parvati style… Tweaking is taken to the extremes on this super-psychedelic track which is very shroom-friendly… Brilliant!

#06: EVP – Digitalkin [145 BPM]
EVP stand for ‘Electronic Virtual Psychedelia’ – and psychedelic is exactly what this track is… Again this reminds me of the older Parvarti style or old Hux Flux… Very complex, multilayered dark and twisted night-trance… But still with an overall happy-put-your-hands-in-the-air feel… And most importantly – extremely trippy! This is 100% underground psychedelic trance – Kick ass!

#07: EVP – Robotiks [145 BPM]
As the title suggest this is more industrial sounding track – check out the very cool intro that sports all kinds of saws, robot-sounds, etc… These sounds continue throughout this very, very original track… Again it’s kinda old-school darkish hyper-trance… I can draw parallels to both Dark Soho and Ørebro here… Another awesome track!

#08: Error Corrective – Phlon [147 BPM]
Behind the E.R. moniker are Nick Howdle-Smith and Dan Warburton and they’ve released tracks on Transient and Organic Records… I remember their track on the UK Trance compilation released in 2004. That was gritty, dirty night trance with hints of industrial…. And that’s pretty much the path they are still taking… This is fast-paced night trance with the odd melody here and there… Check out the very cool break-down – great dancefloor material! I like especially the last half of this sweet track!

#09: Error Corrective – Cyclic Transformation [144 BPM]
Guess what – Error Corrective also have their debut album coming out on Wild Things… Nice! The intro here is really something to look out for – a big web spun from tribal, ethnic and raging dark underground psytrance…It’s a very unique sound the guys present here – twisted as always, and very experimental… That surprise blast @ 3’49 is pure ecstasy for my ears and is guaranteed to tear any dancefloor completely apart… Wonderful track!

Right – it was about frekkin’ time this surfaced from the underground… I mean – sure it’s great to have talent in the underground – after all that’s what’s keeping our scene alive and thriving… But when the talent mass is as evident as this it would be a crime not to release it to the masses… So I’m glad this saw the light of day… I’m really impressed with the quality level here. Wild Things Records has really captured the sound of the UK underground – a very unique, distinct sound… Raw and gritty – and psychedelic as hell! Fums up Beardy & Co!

This compilation is also a showcase for the upcoming albums of Hoodwink, Reality Grid and Error Corrective… And I’m happy to say I look forward to most of them. Hoodwink didn’t grab me as much as the rest here, but he has some interesting ideas and I’ll definitely check out the album once it appears… But in general these guys are super talented and I’m sure they’ll make it big in PsyLand – they deserve it! The cover-art here is cool too – it seems very fitting to the underground style music… As you’ve probably guessed by now, I’m very impressed by this compilation – and I’ll recommend it to fans of experimental, darkish, highly psychedelic underground night-trance… Enjoy!

Favourites: 3, 5(!!), 6(!), 7(!!), 8, 9(!)

DeathPosture
em-shodan2.gif

External links:
Wild Things: http://www.wildthingsrecords.co.uk
Discogs: http://tinyurl.com/apqcv
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/9tkgu
Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/c3zng
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/97obl
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/debyy
Cisco: http://tinyurl.com/cpesp

DP, you forgot to mention that EVP is going to release his debut album ("Normal Chicken Music") soon and from what I heard it's going to be the next release of Wildthigs Records, before other albums you mentioned :Smile3:

For more info on EVP and sound-samples go to: http://www.evp.resourcez.com/

Kick-ass compilation BTW!!!

antic said:
DP, you forgot to mention that EVP is going to release his debut album ("Normal Chicken Music") soon and from what I heard it's going to be the next release of Wildthigs Records, before other albums you mentioned :Smile3:

For more info on EVP and sound-samples go to: http://www.evp.resourcez.com/

Kick-ass compilation BTW!!!

Oh, I didn't know that... So all the artists here are actually releasing debut albums... Sweet! :rocker:

DP

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT-WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE FRIENDS WHO ARE SO TALENTED AND UP FOR IT, AND IF YOU KNOW ANY MORE WHO ARE WRITING THE NON COMMERCIAL UNDERGROUND SOUND LINK THEM UP WITH US AS WE NOW HAVE THE OUTLET TO GET THE U.K UNDERGROUND OUT THERE!.....YEEHAA, LETS ROCK!!!
www.wildthingsrecords.co.uk

antic said:
DP, you forgot to mention that EVP is going to release his debut album ("Normal Chicken Music")

EVP's album will be called "Normal Music"
Normal chicken music, is one of the tracks on it :Smile3:

And it does indeed kick arse :Wink3:

all the best to Wild things from the alps !!!!!!!!
got my cd today, sounds great !!!!!! like the 6 and 9 !

:Smile3:

Boom !
xxxxx

Back