Will there be a house price crash?

julian

Reaction score
I bought in 2001.
At the time, (*cough* envious *cough*) friends were saying: "But they say it's a bad time to buy now, prices can only fall down."
To which I promptly replied: "Yeah, but then again, they've been saying that for a few years now, haven't they?"

Anyway, if you *really* think that there's gonna be a crash you can still buy (or keep your house) and hedge yourself with some spread bets on the Halifax index in your region.
For example, these guys
http://www.igindex.co.uk/
do that, though they have ridiculous spreads. If you know any fairer dealers, please share.

O

Ott^

julian said:
I bought in 2001.
At the time, (*cough* envious *cough*) friends were saying: "But they say it's a bad time to buy now, prices can only fall down."

You sound like a right charmer.

ozdave

Phased and misused.
Reaction score
Crash boom crash boom crash boom crash boom and so it goes kids...........................

Technognome

Professor of Ecognomics
Reaction score
julian said:
I bought in 2001.
To which I promptly replied: "Yeah, but then again, they've been saying that for a few years now, haven't they?"

Anyway, if you *really* think that there's gonna be a crash you can still buy (or keep your house) and hedge yourself with some spread bets on the Halifax index in your region.
For example, these guys
http://www.igindex.co.uk/
do that, though they have ridiculous spreads. If you know any fairer dealers, please share.

Trouble is if I wanted to by a house now (which I don't cause they are way overpriced) I wouldn't have any money left to make a spread bet which sounds abit dodgy to me anyway.

I'm waiting till the prices crash relative to income (either by actuall falls or increases in wages).

Good video tho init!

PHLUR :sun:

psylent

Reaction score
The Economist has been talking about how house prices HAVE to fall for a while now. They looked at house prices over 50 years and it turns out the on average prices have risen 1% a year in real terms. Given the massive growth in the last decade, prices need to either drop significantly or stay at around the current level for about another 10 years for things to return to normality. I reckon the latter will happen. I always figure if you can afford to buy, and you're not trying to make a quick buck re-selling or off renting it, then as long as you can afford the repayments, then you should.

Of course prices are so ridiculous now, that most people cannot even hope to unless they want to live a long long way away.

I was in Prague last weekend, and 100 miles away in a beautiful little village you could get a 2 bedroom apartment for around £10,000. Czech Republic anyone?