worth a read

At this point, DnB is so well-defined that it's getting pointless to create your own beats, since if it sounds too original it won't be DnB anymore. You might as well just get a loop library and lay 'em in

this person is an utter moron who has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

dnb is far broader than psytrance is!

forced myself to read a bit further

the anen break is a drum loop that was produced by the Amen brothers

oh my goodness gracious :excessiv:

its starting to be so mis-informed its hilarious.

please do yourself a favour - dont take that thread at all seriously. it quite obviously doesnt merit it.

PS. In case you think I'm just name calling without any particular basis for beliefs, I would take it apart properly, but I'm on my lunch break - in fact strictly speaking that finished 20 minutes ago :unsure:

At the end of the day dnb is not a narrow genre, in any way. In fact its so un-narrow I personally cannot even see it as a genre, more as a broad "realm".

And for anybody to tell dnb artists to just grab a few loops off a sample cd for their beats......... OMG BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Nobody works harder on their drumtracks, thats why its HALF THE BLOODY NAME!! Clueless. Totally clueless.

soliptic said:
this person is an utter moron who has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
Like most people on the interweb then!

thats why I like it here of course - friendly people who know what they're talking about :Smile3:

I've never been that into drum and bass.. for me lush synths have always been more important.. but each to their own eh!!!

Andrew
:punk:

I'm sure you could mate - I'm just more partial to trance so that's where my attention has been for the past 10 years or so.. I do have a couple of d&b cd's tho - bukem / conrad's / drs' progression session 3 is a killer... the mc's really go astral with their lyrics and the music takes me there too... I guess my preference is mostly coz d&b to me has always semed quite urban music, where as trance has always lifted me into another reality, it's more escapist , which is what i like......

I like listening to good music no matter what style... even bad music gives me ideas!

*scampers off to listen to the new cheeky girls record or something.....

:smokingr:

Andrew

soliptic said:
I could find you some "lush synths" in drumnbass, easy :P

Adam F's 'Circles' for a start... though that did get a bit overplayed back in the day...

J.

andrew said:
I'm sure you could mate - I'm just more partial to trance.... I guess my preference is mostly coz d&b to me has always semed quite urban music, where as trance has always lifted me into another reality, it's more escapist , which is what i like......

Yeah, I see that. Fair play n all I was just bantering, not seriousing trying to convert ya or anything :Smile3:

Myself I'm heavily into the kind of dnb which isnt so urban and is more other worldly. Check out the likes of future engineers, seba, psidream, klute, polar, teebee, omni trio, photek.... Then there's the dark, sick sci-fi stuff: black sun empire, raiden, chris su, counterstrike, dom & roland... Then there's the beat science stuff like paradox, fracture and neptune, fanu, etc. Jazzy and live acts like london elektricity, scary idm stuff like exile... the list goes on, there's so much these people clearly have no clue about.

Its pretty apparent (not least in that thread) that a great deal of people still think dnb is what it was in 96. However we've come an awful long way since Aphrodite and the Ganja Kru were cutting edge. Thats like thinking you heard a few Hallucinogen and Infected Mushroom tracks 8 years ago and thinking you can make a safe assumption that Son Kite and Eskimo must be making the same stuff now. Not only are they almost incomparable to the above, they're almost incomparable to each other too.

A few people were up to date enough to mention Fresh and Pendulum but thats still analogous to knowing GMS and Skazi, whilst writing off everything from Etnoscope to Scorb.

Btw just to avoid any nasty misunderstandings, this isnt aimed @ you! :Smile3:

I can clearly see...

I like listening to good music no matter what style... even bad music gives me ideas!

*scampers off to listen to the new cheeky girls record or something.....

:smokingr:

Andrew

...that we're on the same page. :Grin:

dnb was the first electronic music i got heavily into, and done right it still has the power to blow me like it was the first time, so its always going to hold a special place for me. nevertheless it doesnt muster a quarter of my listening time. I'm a magpie, I thieve the interesting bits of all scenes, so winamp always gets loaded with a mix of dnb, ambient dubby chillout stuff, breakbeat, hiphop, rock, funk/soul, even pop and country and stuff.

thats why I get annoyed whenever I see idiots mouthing off about genres, "OMG country sux", "dnb is played out these days", "trance is gay", etc. It is guaranteed to translate to "I never listen to this music, let alone with an open mind, I am totally uninformed" because there's great stuff in EVERY style!

Random PS. I actually played on the same bill as the cheeky girls about six months ago. One of their dancers had the finest arse I've ever seen :wub:

Back