writing your own music !!!!!!

R

Rizla

i think it is truly amazing how ppl can create such wonderful sounds with wierd machinery !!

how many of you are making your own music .. and what is your technic ?? not that i want to steal any ideas i am a woman and there for i couldnt possibly do it anyway !!:p :lol:

give us your thoughts on how u go about it .. what is your frame of mind ??

that is what i am interested to know ... what do you feel when creating your music and what inspires you !!!

first of all, one half of sirius isness is a woman so dont let that stop you trying :Smile3:

when i make music i normally start with a day dream hehe. sounds stupid maybe but thats how it works in my head. then everything comes from that, and i just work towards making everything sounding like the little story in my head :Grin:

hehe.... well this woman only sees knobs and wires man so it wont happen unless i have a good teacher :blink:

i think that is a brilliant idea a day dream .... nice i have different ones all the time do you ? i like it when the music goes all twisty and you can picture things in your head and it takes you away .. drifting .. i love that ...

personally... i find it comes from environment sounds combined with emotions: you hear something and it makes you think of something or feel something and then I try to recreate that same impalpable feeling in the track...
Also suddenly an idea can just hit you... or you can be playing around trying to create a sound in your head and it you find something else that sounds amazing (in your mind hehe)

Also.. Dali is a female solo artist... still as you say, i guess she's seen only knobs (to get where she is with that music heheh :Wink3: )

There are so many things that have inspired me - it can be anything; a thought, a feeling, an experience, a person, a place, a sound, a sight...

I've been hearing 'life' as music in my head since I was a little girl. I still sing random bollocks to myself when I'm walking down the street. That's the only way I can describe it. Sometimes I feel something and it has a sound or a melody, a texture or a colour in my brain somewhere. It happens automatically - I suppose in the same way that music can trigger a specific emotion, but the other way around.

I never really sit down and say 'ok, now you're going to write' - especially not in the early stages of a song or a track, though once the initial idea is there I try to expand on it. Sometimes it builds into something completely different to how I initially imagined it would be, other times the (sonic) pattern feels very set, like it's a story trying to write itself. (Sorry, really not describing this very well at all).

Overall it's quite an intuitive process for me. Sometimes if I get stuck, I'll just sit and play with sounds, instruments, synths, different FX etc and wait until something resonates or clicks into place. I always get pissed off with myself though, because my technical knowledge is still very much in the developmental stage and my tally of equipment is poor, both of which can feel limiting. Still, it's definitely a 'creative drive' thing. I love it!

Good thread by the way :Smile3:

wow ! i love how everyone has there own special way of doing there music .. to me thats what makes it unique .. i am really impressed here keep it coming guys im really interested ...

:sun:

I just really enjoy the creation of sound and painting with it. I use to paint and draw allot when I was younger but not nearly as much now. I get the same feeling when writing tunes as I use to from painting. I don’t think of the sounds as sound as much as shapes or textures, tangible things to be sculpted and played with. Most of the time a tune will write its self rather than me having formed an idea in my head before I start.

I think the enjoyment comes from allowing your brain to flow forward and go where it wants to and then when people hear what you have come up with they can hear where you head was at when you wrote that tune. I could be wrong of course.:wacko: <O:p></O:p>

BeatNik said:
Also.. Dali is a female solo artist... still as you say, i guess she's seen only knobs (to get where she is with that music heheh :Wink3: )

hehe maybe one day then hey :Wink3: interesting way of thinking .... using earthly sounds as inspiration :Smile3: i think if i could write music thats what would inspire me ... natural sounds ......

flaotyhippyflower .. i am impressed to hear you make music and to hear it in your head must be soo magical ....

when i dance to music i can feel it .. i even feel the emotion in it .. i dont know if anyone esle feels that... i just get really caught up in sounds and its nice ... to beable to drift off into someones thoughts or atleast your idea of someones thoughts to me thats awsome

well done guys ... i love this thread too :Smile3:

psyfi said:
I could be wrong of course

tut tut, dont use the W word :p everyones way is different, tis about what works for you.
i have daydreams coming out of my ears (i have done all me life), and once i have picked one i want to realise, my brain is going where it wants to go, cos in writing the music i get to explore the daydream a lot further than before :dancey:

Double_Helix said:
tut tut, dont use the W word :p everyones way is different, tis about what works for you.
i have daydreams coming out of my ears (i have done all me life), and once i have picked one i want to realise, my brain is going where it wants to go, cos in writing the music i get to explore the daydream a lot further than before :dancey:
Well What W Word Would that be:p
I know what you mean man. I use to be preoccupied with writing tunes that I thought would make others happy but the inevitable truth is that people will appreciate honesty more than a contrived attempt to impress them.

I could be wrong though :wacko:

rizla said:
i am a woman and there for i couldnt possibly do it anyway !!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????????????????

oh please tell me you are joking!!! goodness gracious...

Colin OOOD said:
I use eJay to write my tracks - it's really easy as all the sounds have already been made for you and you just have to put them in the right order.

:lolololo:

Tried using eJay again (abit of nostalgia/joke) and it's so difficult trying to use something when you have no creative control over it whatsoever...
Easier to actually create tracks when they're made by you :Smile3: (possibly not the technical, production side though)

natacherry said:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????????????????

oh please tell me you are joking!!! goodness gracious...
LOL !! well respect to all the ladies out there that are doing this .. yeah yeah i know it has nothing to do with me being a woman perhaps i should of put a :tongue1: in there soo ppl could see i was only joking hehe ..... i just cant grasp it all ..like i said its all wires and knobs to me .. i dont hear things i see things and i put that on paper that is my talent ! i was interested to know how everyone else felt when making there tracks ..:wub:

Missing-Link said:
when i make music i tend not to pay attention to anything...
itsa good moment, completely self outomated, full concentration...
its a way to express the untangeable...
my little headphone pleasure :Smile3:
i suppose you must get really good ideas then !! like when your not thinking about it .... it happens .. yeah i can totally understand you there ..... excellent:Grin:

Missing-Link said:
when i make music i tend not to pay attention to anything...
itsa good moment, completely self outomated, full concentration...
its a way to express the untangeable...
my little headphone pleasure :Smile3:

yep.

Producing psytrance for me is (not intentionally sounding pretentious) a very surrealist concept - like automatic drawing or writing - it comes out as the subconscious thinks about it.

That's why when i write music i find that if i think it's been 10 minutes, it's been about 7 hours solid of work hehe :Smile3: (if only it was like that with academic stuff eh!)

BeatNik said:
Producing psytrance for me is (not intentionally sounding pretentious) a very surrealist concept - like automatic drawing or writing - it comes out as the subconscious thinks about it.

That's why when i write music i find that if i think it's been 10 minutes, it's been about 7 hours solid of work hehe :Smile3: (if only it was like that with academic stuff eh!)

hehe
it sounds like you have alot of fun though .... and yeah i can imagine how time must just completely disappear ... especially when your concentration is soo high :Smile3:

wack a drumbeat down, get stoned, and it either writes itself from there, or fails and gets abandoned :Smile3:

Back