Your One True Album

bez23

https://tacticalvote.co.uk/
Forum Fun-raiser
Reaction score
One album, and one album only.

No bellyaching about how it's hard to decide, no prevaricating about how it could be this or that depending.
No one wants to hear that shit.

What's your one true album.
The one you will always love above all others.
The one album you couldn't live without.
The one that sits plumb centre in your musical world.

Feel free to explain why, or just simply tell us which one it is.

BT - This Binary Universe

All of his previous albums were the run of the mill vocal trance but this one really stood out. I had been a big fan of ambient soundscapes so hearing this blew me away and having a combination of different musical styles without the previous structure in music I had known before was special for me. The track names are also nice :Grin: For sure have taken inspiration from this album for my own music.
I think I've probably posted it before on here too.

He made another ambient album afterwards which was also very good.

Last edited:
Come back Jimzilla. Speak your musical truth. Show us the dark heart at the centre of your Torsional vortex.

Strong opener from Mr Hammy.

Gong - Angel's Egg

I don't think I can do justice to explaining why this album means so much to me.

Discovering Gong a couple of years before my first spliff, their music subsequently guided me through all my formative psychedelic experiences throughout late teens and beyond. This album in particular (along with the rest of the trilogy) installed an ontological framework that kept (and keeps) my shit together when the going gets weird. Musically, it's stellar, capturing a moment of peak creativity from its contributors, the classic Gong line up.

Daevid Allen's depth of vision, humour and frivolity have been a guiding light that I can't thank enough. The music of Gong is deeply enmeshed in so many peak experiences, it's sometimes hard to know where mind and music start and end.

Whenever I listen to this album, it draws a line through my life and pulls me together, grounds me and fills me with joy, hope and love.

Last edited:
Nope. Never. I can barely do ten

No one said this was going to be easy. Dig deep.

Hopefully this thread will offer up a compendium of absolute sure-fire fucking bangers, and it would be a shame for you not to throw down at this party.

Oooohh, a juicy one @bez23 ... I'm with you on the Gong Radio Gnome trilogy, and I must say that Master Builder on You is just about the single most sublimely psychedelic music ever, but there is something that is etched even deeper into my brain, and that is this.
Quite simply the most amazingly gripping, moving, and transcendent stuff I have ever heard.
Send me to my desert island, and I'll be happy to listen to just this one album, every day (as long as I have good quality and LOUD hifi to play it on)...

Amsterdam ‘92..The Orb‘s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld..a ghetto blaster...a campsite & not a whiff of Skunk, on any of the menus.

I don't know. Its between a choice of two maybe and I can't decide between them....

My kids are always asking me what my fav this or that is. My answer is the same. Its not how I roll.

"What's your favourite colour dad?"

"By virtue of this approximation and simplification he introduces harmonies of colours into the things themselves, and these harmonies possess great charm and can constitute an enrichment of nature. Perhaps it was only in this way that mankind first learned to take pleasure in the sight of existence: existence, that is to say, was in the first instance presented to them in one or two colours, and thus presented harmoniously: mankind then as it were practised on these few shades before being able to go over to several. And even today many an individual works himself out of a partial colourblindness into a richer seeing and distinguishing: in which process, however, he not only discovers new enjoyments but is also obliged to give up and relinquish some of his earlier ones."

"Is it yellow?"

No one said this was going to be easy. Dig deep.

Hopefully this thread will offer up a compendium of absolute sure-fire fucking bangers, and it would be a shame for you not to throw down at this party.
As its you I will stoop to do 10 if you want. Final offer.

In all serious if someone said 'its one album only for the rest of your life' I would probs choose nothing and just sit in the woods playing the pan flute

Last edited:
Back