Zen Cat - New Member's First Track Post

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Evening all,

Having just joined this superb forum, here's one of my tracks for your listening pleasure:

---Will find copy of old track to upload--- (8 Feb 2006)http://webzoom.freewebs.com/psyschwanz/Room with a View.mp3

Produced using the following set up:

Pentium 4 2.6Ghz running Cubase SX 2
Delay Lama Plugin
Access Virus A
Nord Modular Keyboard

The vocal samples were snipped from a couple of free BBC Radio 4 broadcasts and spiced up with Waves Trueverb and Metaflanger.

The kick is a freely available sample from Isratrance and the Bass is courtesy of the ever-useful Novation Bass Station VST. I also used that lovely little free 303 bassline plugin... can't remember who makes it.

If you like the track, check out my website for some of my other recent sonic tinkerings.

Enjoy!

Comments and feedback as always gratefully received. :iyes:

Zen Cat

WOOF - Bark... grrrrr... Yelp!

Translaton: Thanks mate - glad you liked the tune!

I agree that something gets lost in the translation... I only speak terrier and labrador, but it's a similar dialect.

Cheers! Anything you'd change? I think the 303 may be a bit too loud and muddy in the mix. Might also be a bit to cluttering. I was considering trimming it down to just a couple of notes.

Love the tune :ibiggrin: a real old school Hallucinogen vibe - properly psychedelic. Nice glitchy vocal tomfoolery :ismile:

Only had a listen on headphones but production sounds good too. Bass maybe a bit 'flappy' sounding (?) but no way of telling on headphones. Also agree with you on the 303 line - maybe a bit more eq or something to seperate it out from the bass and unmuddy it a bit? Anyway, I'm not exacltly Mr experience so treat my advice witha pinch of salt :iconfused ( talk to OTT or Mr Oood for the expert opinion )

Cheers for listening!

The bass sounds great on my monitors, but I know what you mean about listening to it on headphones. Will have a tinker and see what I can do. I'm also going to play around with the 303 notes and get ifit the whole 303 line into a better spot in the mix.

Love your avatar by the way! :irofl:

i hate the delay lama plugin cause its so unversatile and you always recognise it immediately in a tune, which takes away from the mysterious psychedlia of it....BUT...that is awesome, you've used it really well, that melody and stutter you've got on it really works. fantastic. two thumbs up.

but i agree that you need to seperate the 303 line and the bass

the structure of the tune is fullon in the first half, then goes into that wonderful funked out bit, but i think it needs a return to the fullon rollin bassline after the funky bit rather than fading away

Agreed! It kind of fades out unspectacularly doesn't it...

I'll be working on it over the weekend and will implement the excellent suggestions made on this thread.

Thanks! :ibiggrin:

Brilliant! Glad to hear it. I'll be sending my three track demo off to a couple of lables at the end of this week... hopefully I'll get some good feedback :iyes:

I really like it! Love the bass line... really rolls along with great squelchy noises on top. I'd play it in one of my rare attempts at DJing if I had it!

Feel free!

I know that a lot of people find the delay lama plug in a bit naff, but I'm very happy with the way it works in this track :irofl:

This is going to be the first track on my demo. Woohoo... finally ready to send the demo out after mixing, re-mixing, changing stuff, re-mixing, etc ad nauseum...

ah so thats what the delay lama does. it is a very recognisable noise which is a shame cos it sounds damn coolio. very hallucinogen!

thought the kik/bass works very well, and the chopped vocals and delay lama stuff is really good, sounds properly twisted... nice oldstyle infected-y riffs too.

thought the squelchy noises were a bit difficult to hear? sounded good but perhaps need to be louder / eq'd a bit. though when you've got squelchy noises + vocal cuts + delay lama its going to be difficult to have them all at once sounding clear in the mix. probably do-able but not easy...

also thought the high hats don't quite stand out enough... but again this is like high end production stuff i'm talking about (i think!) cos the overall sound *is* very good, and the production is up there with the best stuff i've heard posted on the forum (and there's been some very well produced tracks up here...)

i like.. will check out your other tunes too at some point.

edit: i fell a bit mean saying bad things about your hihats having given it another listen (after your thread on the subject!). it's only cos i was ABing it with some well produced released stuff... i'm really not sure how you get from where your tune is (which i think is similar in production terms to where my new stuff is) and go that extra distance to make it sound like the better produced stuff that gets released... whether its to do with the hihats or snares, or just some kind of overall mastering production style trickery i'm not sure... hmm that could be a whole thread in itself i think!

listening now... really liked the start!!!!

1:48 - 2:05 another high point for cari!!!

I really really really like it.

:Smile3:

This is really cool! :icool: Im loving the way you chopped the vocals about and the percussion is top notch too, fair play!

Back