Zen Cat - Orchid

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Morning all,

I started this track last summer and have been working on it on and off since the, applying all of the new techniques I've been learning over the past year. Would love to get some feedback!

Orchid

:iyes:

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Wow! Great tune Zen Cat. Love the percussion sounds at the start. Great sounding reverb on it, and it carries on through the track. Slick production, and a lovely rolling bass line. Great job! I'd play it if I was DJing.

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Fkucing wicked. Very smooth+tight sound. Its about time you started looking for a label. :iyes:

Julie

alors la grave!
Reaction score
Nice tune there Zen Cat, I like the bassline, fookin groovy!
btw check your P.M inbox

icodon

Junior Members
Reaction score
Nice techniques! Well done....

How about the mastering...?? Do you do it at home?? Any analog equipment...or only vst??

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
theyellowbrickroad said:
only production critism is that the kick sounds like its been very subtly driven through a distortion plug in, not sure how to explain that but it sounds like the kick channel is being slighty driven too hard.
Pete

Well spotted sir! The kick is in fact being driven through Quadrafuzz. Might have to take the boost down just a little notch. Have added some top end to the kick as well. Cheers for the tip. I shall investigate!

icodon said:
How about the mastering...?? Do you do it at home?? Any analog equipment...or only vst??

Mastering done in WaveLab with Izotope Ozone and Timeworks Mastering Compressor. Used the Access Virus A for many of the synths, as well as Albino 2 and Vanguard. Percussion uses Battery 2. Vocal samples are from a BBC Radio 4 Broadcast, cleaned up and then put through Granulab.

Cheers for all the feedback everyone!

OPTOBOT

OPTOBOT
Reaction score
Zen Cat said:
Well spotted sir! The kick is in fact being driven through Quadrafuzz.

Wipes brow and a sigh of releaf that i wasn't going mad :Smile3:

Rantici

ilikestuff
Reaction score
Hi Zen Cat, I think the track's great :cool:

As has been mentioned it rolls along nicely with everything feeling like it's in the right place at the right level etc

Nice mix of melodic and percussive sounds too

Would be good to hear it on a rig to see how the kick and bass sit with each other - I reckon it will sound pretty phat! You had a chance to do that yet?

Keep 'em coming - I look forward to the next one :ibiggrin:

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Rantici said:
Hi Zen Cat, I think the track's great :cool:

As has been mentioned it rolls along nicely with everything feeling like it's in the right place at the right level etc

Nice mix of melodic and percussive sounds too

Would be good to hear it on a rig to see how the kick and bass sit with each other - I reckon it will sound pretty phat! You had a chance to do that yet?

Keep 'em coming - I look forward to the next one :ibiggrin:

Thanks, Rantici!

I have never had the chance to play any of my tracks on a rig :isad:

Would love to know how they sound!

I still working on this one - trying to sort out the kick problems mentioned above... Will repost once it's finished :ismile:

herbert newbert

native horizon
Reaction score
Hey Zen Cat

Cracking stuff mate......plenty of work gone into those little details! The movement in the lead lines and variation in the percussion fills really keeps the interest going

Perhaps the bass has been a little over eq'ed to make it fit with the kick (sounds like quite a heavy cut around 100-300 hz ) ...but that's just my personal preference :ismile:

G

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Cheers Timewave!

You're right about the EQ cut on the bass. I've been experimenting with it recently and will try a mix without the cut. I've been playing with the kick EQ anyway following some of the other comments on this thread about the Kick distortion.

Thanks to everyone for listening and making such usefult comments! :iyes:

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Hey hey!

This track has now been subjected to the tender mercies of the honourable Mr. Night'S-Kool.

The bass, which used to be Novation Bass-Station has been replaced with Pentagon. The kick and bass have both been cleaned up, phasing between the kick and the bass has been eliminated and various percussive and synth elements have been tightened and phattened up.

Sounds like a whole new track! I've included the old mix here for A/B purposes:

Muddy Old Mix

Brand Spanking New Mix

Any feedback greatly appreciated! :ibiggrin:

Night'S-Kool

Swollen Member
Reaction score
Heheheh.......Don't tell them about that trick I did to make it sound double super fat :Wink3: :irofl:

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Night'S-Kool said:
Heheheh.......Don't tell them about that trick I did to make it sound double super fat :Wink3: :irofl:

You mean that large red dial on the mixing desk that just says 'Phatness' and goes up to eleven? I though everyone had one of those!

Yaj

Behavingbadly in IT crowd
Reaction score
I finally had good listen to your tune Zen Cat, thanks for reminding me on Sat.
I think it's a phat, already starting to get stuck in my head after the 2nd listen. I can't wait to get home to blast it on my speakers.
Well done mate!

teavibration

in a tree
Reaction score
yeah this really is a nice tune man, very well done, two thumbs fresh mate!!

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
whoa mate... fuckin' excellent stuff!!!... loving that bassline... and the kick sounds much better now!
listening on a pair of random headphones so cant do in dept analysis.. but to be honest i don't think there's much to be said :Smile3:

Only ting for me is that i feel possibly te huge reverbs could do wit a little bit more e.q.ing to sit tighter in compariso wit the rest of the souds... possibly even push the highs abit more also... get a really tight highat section...
But then again this may be just because of te headophoes iäm listeing on...

Sorry bout radom writing the keyboard in this iteret cafe does't work propery ad its in swedish lol
the N h and j buttons do't work properly...grr

loving this tune alot tho!!...

herbert newbert

native horizon
Reaction score
Hey Zen Cat...

Great stuff again mate! just doing a quick A-B with the old mix you can see how much you have tidied it up... :iyes:

Kick and bass sound top... the kick's got more presence than it did before...And as I said before, the arrangement is great...

The only slight thing I would be inclined to alter with the mix is the open hat... it sounds a bit 'fizzy'...
I find it can happen when you put the mix through Ozone or whatever mastering stuff you are using... you get them sounding right in the mix, then the mastering tends to overdo it a bit (especially if you use too much of the exciter)... i would roll off a touch of high end, or tweak the mastering accordingly
Again, it's a very small quibble, and probably more a matter of taste than anything... :ismile:

Grand work! you're on to a winner there
G

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
:Grin:

Thanks for the feedback guys! This track has been played out twice now and apparently went down well! I'll have to tinker with some of the suggestions you made and see if I can get it sounding even better!