Digital Photography

depends on how much you want to spend and whether you wanna go new or S/H

you can go for pukka digi SLR with a bunch of lenses
digi SLR with a bundled Zoom going from wide to quite long (can still use other lens)
or a quality point and shoot with a built in zoom

how much do you wanna spend ?

and what sort of photography ?
everything from flowers to mountains and people and parties?

not too sure about price really... all the stuff I've looked at is between 400-600, but like I said don't really know what I'm looking at, so... not sure if I need to spend that much? or more?? eek!

definitely want to photograph anything and everything that takes my fancy... I get immense pleasure from wandering around with my camera and finding interesting bits and bobs to photograph, especially stuff that I might not usually notice were it not for having the camera... do have a fondness for nature, flowers, trees, interesting forms...

here's a few pics I took with my sony cybershot point and click camera...

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

rainbow_sunset.jpg

this one with my old canon that I loved so much but was stolen along with my bag a couple of year's ago... :isad:

IMG_1916.jpg

this one was taken out of the car sunroof hehe... played about with the colours in i-photo... (all the rest of my pics are as they were when I shot them... no altering or cropping... me too lazy lol!!!)

stonehenge_2.jpg

oh yeh and if we're focusing on nature photography I shouldn't forget this shark attack I witnessed in Oz.....

DSC00140.jpg

:irazz:

I am thinking of buying a SLR digital camera, however, need some advise on what to get. The budget is not very high, around £350. Want something which is good for a beginner. help?

You could pick up a new Canon EOS 350D dirt cheap. They're pretty good, I've had one for a couple of years and have taken some good pics. A standard kit lens will get you going then in time you can buy some better lenses which make the picture, not the camera genarally. The newer models in that range have higher megapixels and larger screens but I don't think they're significantly better.

I am thinking of buying a SLR digital camera, however, need some advise on what to get. The budget is not very high, around £350. Want something which is good for a beginner. help?

I would look at a used one then, you would get more for your money. Or if you want new a Nikon D40 would be a good choice.

Try visit London Camera Exchange. They got 2 shops in Bristol, 1 on Baldwin St, & 1 on the Horsefair, Broadmead. Don't go to Currys!

SLR's tho, the lesns aren't vheap mind. Try and stick to a body and one lens that best suits the type of photography you want to do. Different lenss for different subjects.

Dani your pictures are AMAZING!!!! I love them! *swoons*

really nice pics Dani! :Smile3:

aw thanks guys... means alot to hear nice words about my photo's... certainly gives me a boost to keep it up! :ikiss:
and thanks also for all the recommendations... defo gonna look into it some more and would like to try and enroll for a photography course at some point too as don't really know anything about it to be honest lol!!

xx

I have created a Social Group for people interested in digital photography & software editing [URL="https://www.psymusic.co.uk[/URL].

This will enable people to give advice, show their piccies and give general chat on the subject.

:Smile3:

just bought a secondhand D70 body :ibiggrin:

boing boing happy boy !

plus an 18-55 VR zoom

I took these using a manual slr, they've yet to be photoshopped.. but i thought i'd upload them anyway.

Attachments

• penguin.jpg
    penguin.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2
  • pd.jpg
    pd.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1
  • chameleon.jpg
    chameleon.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1
  • penguin2.jpg
    penguin2.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 1
Cripes, this thread was started when I first started my new hobby. In the 8 months since I have been happy with my progress, tho others in the same time frame have achieved much better.

3356955923_db40e7b147_m.jpg
3316643903_89d3e134b7_m.jpg
3057097834_3beee237f8_m.jpg

So many techniques to try, and hopefully getting a car soom to increase my range of subject matter and ease of getting to places.

Considering grabbing the bull by the horns and forking out for a Nikon D300. The D80 is a great camera, but defo need a larger sensor.

I've only recently purchased my first dslr so no pics to share yet but I have one tip. Fotki. It's a pay service but it's not much (look out for the regular sales to get it for $15 per year) and it pisses all over the free online photo sites like flickr et al. If you are remotely serious about your photography, or just want unlimted online backup for your images then you should check it out.

Just bought a Canon 40D with 17-85mm lens.
So much more complicated than the happy snappers i've been using for so very long.

Now to re-learn how to take pictures. :icool:

I've only recently purchased my first dslr so no pics to share yet but I have one tip. Fotki. It's a pay service but it's not much (look out for the regular sales to get it for $15 per year) and it pisses all over the free online photo sites like flickr et al. If you are remotely serious about your photography, or just want unlimted online backup for your images then you should check it out.

I've checked Fotki and it offers nothing that Flickr already does. I'll have you know my dear fellow that Flickr is unbeatable, nor is it a free site completely (Pro accounts cost £10 a year, whilst the basic accont is free). There are some seriously talented people on Flickr, and as it's the largest site for ameteur (& even pro) photographers it serves as the largest base for inspiration and talent. I have learnt so much with thanks to contacts there

If you are remotely serious about your photography then the obvious step is to buy a domain name and create your own site, with a Paypal button.

BOT

Easter saturday was spent in Wells, Somerset. What a beautiful place. Here's a few from that day.

3437088681_4ba3a5ae20.jpg

3434689049_f8ff54a1b5.jpg

3433055926_d86bb89d34.jpg

Clearly you are wrong, both on the Fotki=Flickr and the setting up your own site with Paypal (most agencies I've dealt with either use a turnkey/co-brand eCom solution specifically designed for the industry or sell through the stock libraries ) but your photography is nice, no denying that.

Clearly you are wrong, both on the Fotki=Flickr and the setting up your own site with Paypal (most agencies I've dealt with either use a turnkey/co-brand eCom solution specifically designed for the industry or sell through the stock libraries ) but your photography is nice, no denying that.

Dan

I think it's more a matter of choice than what's right or wrong.

As Fotki only hosts some 1 billion images, and Flickr 3 billion images, I think Flickr serves the purpose most apt, for me anyway. Gathering inspiration and advice it's better to have 3 times the help.

I have also heard that Fotki lacks the quality and diversity that Flickr has imagewise. I am astounded at some of the pure quality of some of the artists on Flickr and see no reason to change.

As for eCom, I think any ameteur enthusiast solo photographer (like myself) would be more than happy with a Paypal function on their site instead of a 'Add To Cart' function that most professional businesses are likely to use. I'm working on my own right now. I'm not a professional business, so a Paypal button will do. I also have no interest in selling my images as stock, no need for me to take that route, rather sell my images as a complete print, framed and/or mounted. Three images so far sold at £45 - £60 ea. (unframed)

Thanks for the kind words on my work so far. Have lots to learn still.

Scott

Back