Alternative OS to Windows

6, 24 Lotus

Hey Guys

i'm thinking about switching back to pc (too damn expensive to get a well spec'd G5)
obviously i'd like to avoid the windows environment.

anyone have any experiance to share of Linux, Redhat, other alternatives (specifically for music making)??

i will be running Live 5, lots of plugins, Reactor 4, etc

Win XP is actually Micro$ofts most stable OS yet. I have no problems with it at all, running just the stuff you mention.
Of course if your objections to XP are non-technical ie. 'ooh Bill Gates is so rich he must be evil and so is everything he ever touched for he is the spawn of satan' then you probably should stick to your Mac.

:Smile3:

Monkey Do said:
Just noticed this bit.

Not on Linux you won't.

Not entirly true, I have read about Live 3 running in Linux, I'm not 100% sure how well it runs and what options you have to play with (ie usb/midi/etc)

If you want to switch to Linux, then your gonna need allot of time to get things working (which also needs allot of learning, if you dont know *inx already) but you can get them working (when I say allot, I mean, like, months!)

I use Linux, a part build of Mandrake 10, and I have all sorts of windows programs running in it, have never bothered with getting Cubase or Live running, coz my computer needs a reformat, and it'd be a waste of time at the moment.....but if you can cope with running windows until next summer, I should have Live and/or Cubase running and mite b able to come up with a HOWTO for ya

well anyway, if you have no experience with Linux dont bother, like MonkeyDo said...therez not allot of native music software out there for Linux......but there will be soon I'm sure :Wink3: lotz in development atm (inc VST apps)

..interested to know why you dont want to run your audio apps on windows ?

at home i run Tiger. don't know if you've seen it but its beautifull.
at work i use a windows machine. they're wubbish.
ugly OS. tbh, i just dont like the look & feel. feel's cheap.

6 said:

Get yourself a Styles Hack, theres loads out there, and some fuking beautiful GUI's :Wink3: (even if it iz still windows hiding underneath lol)

6 said:

I'm baffled. Seriously, I don't understand. 'wubbish' how?

I honestly think you need to dig deep and get that G5 cos you're never going to be happy with a mass-market consumer OS with zero 'artistic kudos'.

BTW what kind of polish works best on wicker shoes?

they slow the machine down tho.
on my music machine i have a solid colour backdrop.

6 said:
they slow the machine down tho.
on my music machine i have a solid colour backdrop.

The only difference the wallpaper makes is how much memory that image takes up. No CPU gets used...more important is taking care that you don't install any resident apps you don't need, check regularly for spyware and keep your audio HD defragged.

I use Style-XP to change the look of windows, and it uses no system resources at all...

It's obvious you're pretty new to all this - plenty of people here are serious long-term geeks and will help you out if there's anything you're not clear about.

So you're just being a bit of a tart then, eh? :Wink3:
If it is just eye-candy you are after, why not pop onto Belchfire and get yourself the Mac iTunes theme - it is pretty nice - I use it just because it confuses people. "Hey, when did you get a Mac?" Of course I didn't, and never will.
In my experience, most audio apps have their own look & feel, which, to be honest, doesn't really bear much resemblance to the look & feel of the OS on which they are running. As with most things, it is just what you get used to... I find Mac look & feel totally unfathomable.
The biggest thing against Windows for me is the number of exploits, worms and viruses knocking on my firewall door. With linux this is much less of a worry.
But for running audio apps, it can't be beat.

Attachments

• itunes.JPG
    itunes.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 19
i dont like the fact you cant have your PC on the net without all this "spyware" BS

you dont ever see that on the mac.

I have just moved my home machine to Linux and am currently trying to get Ardour up and running on it - http://ardour.org/
I have to say that I think I have the wrong distribution (I use Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntulinux.org) which basically isn't very well set up for sound apps. I think there's a specific distribution tuned for audio but the name escapes me. I'm mainly using it for programming so have other needs of the system. Ubuntu by the way is a piece of piss to set up and configure for most things - and far better looking than Windows.

I'll post some stuff up when I get ardour working. It would be pretty easy to install but Linux assumes web-based distribution of code and I keep my home machine off the net so I don't waste my time on forums etc. As it is, it's all a bit trickier...

Warwick Bassmonkey said:
So you're just being a bit of a tart then, eh? :Wink3:
If it is just eye-candy you are after, why not pop onto Belchfire and get yourself the Mac iTunes theme - it is pretty nice - I use it just because it confuses people. "Hey, when did you get a Mac?" Of course I didn't, and never will.
In my experience, most audio apps have their own look & feel, which, to be honest, doesn't really bear much resemblance to the look & feel of the OS on which they are running. As with most things, it is just what you get used to... I find Mac look & feel totally unfathomable.
The biggest thing against Windows for me is the number of exploits, worms and viruses knocking on my firewall door. With linux this is much less of a worry.
But for running audio apps, it can't be beat.

still looks kinda lame, tho

6 said:
i dont like the fact you cant have your PC on the net without all this "spyware" BS

Becuase so few people use Mac that they dont right the software....same principal for Linux......doesnt mean your immune, it means that when one day you do come accross it, there will be less options for you to safly sort your computer out...I would recomend getting to comfy about how safe your mac is if i woz you :Wink3:

6 said:

If that concerns you, multi-boot with a DAW environment that doesn't have web connection.

Most serious DAW guys don't connect their PC to the net.

So far (touch wood), I've never had a problem with spyware or viruses and I've been running Cubase since VST 3.0 (not SX) and I've always had an internet connection on the same machine.

Use a hardware firewall (most routers give that functionality) and most nasties will be filtered before they touch your PC.

6 said:

er...OK. Thats not actually true, but...ah fuck it.
I can't be bothered to have this fucking 'macs are artistic and cool but PCs are dull horrible and corporate' argument any more.

Joe? you there? Can you take over, I'm too busy

Back