external sound module

digifrog

Photography mad.
Reaction score
Hi

I have about £300 to spend on an external sound module to plug into a Nu Systems DC Lite laptop. can i get some recommendations on what i could get for that money?

Thanks

Scott

:ismile:

hmm.

honestly not sure why you'd bother.

i have (or have used) external modules from emu, korg, yamaha, etc, they're all basically rubbish. maybe useful if i made "beds" for local commercial radio, or awful neptunes-rip-off rnb, but sod all use for anything any good :Grin:

better off with an actual synth but for 300 quid you won't get anything worth getting particularly excited about.

also as a general observation, the only compelling reason to buy hardware these days, is for the improved tactile / interface aspect of it all. modules are generally stuck on the "one data-entry knob and a couple of buttons to page through the menus on the 2 line lcd" school of interface, which is basically the most awful thing ever, and you end up never programming them or pushing their limits. and whether you want a 'stock sounds' type of module or a synth type, you can get either in software too, so... um... yeah... we're back to where we came in

loads of mudules within your price range here...

could only recommend the JP8080 tho, and theres one for sale for £400 - great synth, loads of hand on fun.

theres an MS2000rack going for £220 on SOS classifieds

Thanks peeps for helpful info. I should have been more specific with terminoligies :ismile:

Following Cameron's helpful guidance, I am referring mainly to the Firewire modules that accompany my Nu-Systems DC Lite laptop. These Firewire modules are listed @ http://www.nusystems.co.uk/cat-customise.asp?a=c&g=90&b=0 . I'm looking for a good recommendation or something similar. Or maybe I could get a well decent 2nd hand one for £300 too. Possibilities are endless & out of depth of knowledge. Thanks once more.

Scott

:ismile:

MS2000 isn't a bad machine (I used to own the keyboard version), but software can do just as good a job, if not better IMO.

Korg's own MS20 emulator in Korg Legacy is probably a better bet in many ways. You get the mini keyboard thrown into the package too.

If you *really*, *really* want a module, I reckon you could pick up a Virus B (or classic) for that kind of money. I'd go for that if I were you (presuming you're after a synth).

Oops - posted the last message before your more specific response appeared.

Purusha said:
Oops - posted the last message before your more specific response appeared.

:ilol: I have some soft synths, hardware ones will come later.

If you're talking Firewire soundcards, I got the Edirol FA101 from NuSystems. Been happy with it so far and it comes within your price range.

makdaddy said:
????.....you after a soundcard or sound module ?

img10521582207.jpeg

yee, erm, as stated a short while back, (due to lack of knowledgable terminology)
firewire soundcard (external module) is what I originally meant. As listed on the
NuSystems DC Lite 'Customize' sections. (Soundcards.)

Thanks Lotus, looks cool....was looking at an MAudio one, coz it's in silver :ilol:

I would suggest you stay away from M-audio even if its nice & shiny..I've got a firewire audiophile & i wouldn't recommend it..

I've been doing a lot of research on Firewire soundcards as i need a new one too..It all depends on what you're looking to do with it..

If you just need one that has good converters i would suggest Emu 1616m as it has the same converters as digidesign (though i read some people having trouble blowing their main outputs with it)

If you're going to be recording Vocals & guitars etc go for Presonus Firebox as it has the best pre-amps..

If you're looking for a good overall card i would go for what Full Lotus recommended or its smaller brother the Edirol Fa-66 (the preamps are not as good as the Firebox though)

In the end i've decided i'm going to go for a presonus firebox as its supposed to work right out of the box & its got the best price performance ratio..i've read loads of reviews with people saying they're happy with it..

review of the Presonus firebox:
http://www.presonus.com/pdf/SOSFIREBOX.pdf

review edirol Fa-101:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/edirolfa101.htm

review Emu 1616m:
http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=39&storycode=11467

so S-cube - what problems did you have with your audiophile ?

Well to be honest ever since i got my new centrino laptop the problems disappeared..So i guess the trouble was more with my old Pentium 4 hairdryer..

But i'm discouraging him against M-audio products in general coz i always see people having compatibility and driver problems with them..So in short unless you have the latest & fastest laptop it makes sense to stay away from M-audio products..

Basically i'm getting rid of mine coz i need pre-amps..

S Cube said:
Well to be honest ever since i got my new centrino laptop the problems disappeared..So i guess the trouble was more with my old Pentium 4 hairdryer..

But i'm discouraging him against M-audio products in general coz i always see people having compatibility and driver problems with them..So in short unless you have the latest & fastest laptop it makes sense to stay away from M-audio products..

Basically i'm getting rid of mine coz i need pre-amps..

ahhh... pity that you just slagged it off to raas then, you could have sold it to the originator of this thread that was after one lol.

im not sure im buying what your saying tho, as i know people with the same interface and its been faultless

hmmm .... yeah - my pci audiophile has just done what it says on the tin from the second I plugged it in.

No frills - just gives me a couple of inputs and outputs ....

ah - sorry - can see now this thread rleates to firewire .... just ignore me ... :P

Back