help putting tunes on the web..website/ftp problems

ichabod

Reaction score
I have finally decided to put the webspace which comes with my broadband to use. I created a simple front page (using the Nvu html editor) and published it to the correct ftp address. This seems to work ok when I try viewing my website in firefox.

I have also uploaded an audio file to the same ftp directory and have tried to link to the file from my frontpage. However, this does not work as the file is not 'publicly' available... if i click the link from my website I get a message telling me I dont have permission. Do I need to create some sort of special folder for the file?

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work??

Thanks!
Dan

You need to set the file permissions so that the file can be 'read' by all users. There should be a checkbox to do this when you look at the uploaded file's properties in your FTP client.

J.

:irolleyes

After a bit more tinkering I think Ive answered my own question... I just have to add the files to a certain (randomly named )subdir of my ftp site. I found this through trial and error adding files to every possilbe directory :iconfused .

Great! now to put it to some use... I've been meaning to put a tune up for ages .. it would be really handy to get some production advice from everyone.

JPsychodelicacy said:
You need to set the file permissions so that the file can be 'read' by all users. There should be a checkbox to do this when you look at the uploaded file's properties in your FTP client.

J.

I had a look at the permissions - even with read permission set for 'All Users' it didn't seem to work. When I place a file in the _vti_bin subdirectory it seems to work though :iconfused

It actually depends on how your hosting is setup to run. Servers can set up permissions in a ton of different ways, many of which you probably won't have control over. Probalby worth while to see if there is any documentation available from your broadband provider. I wouldn't be surprised if they did put various restrictions on your site, including mp3's, but if you've got it working I guess the point might be moot....

Back