Nothing Lasts...But Nothing is Lost

dust_dan

is 89 the magic number..?
Reaction score
Ok I know it's been out for a few weeks and I presume there's already been a topic about it but I just have to get it off my chest..

The more I listen to Shpongle "Nothing Lasts...But Nothing is Lost", the more I love it. It just keeps getting better.
When I first heard it I was a bit dubious as I thought it swept through too much in too little time but I'm changing my mind now and its turning out to be a mega-grower of an album..

It's a shame a CD isn't longer than 80 minutes as there's so much in there that I would love to hear twice as much of.
Is is too far in the future to use DVDs for audio and get FAT quality for AGES of playing time??

Seriously, I don't have the words to express my thoughts on Simon Posford's general production genius in everything I've heard him be involved in, taking nothing away from Raja Ram of course..

Anyone else have the same feelings?

Dan.

I love it!..We have less of a chillout album on our hands..than a party album..the rules have been rewritten..here's to partys with music which no longer obey formulaic trance convention..here's to an age of ever more inspired eclectic beats..and with it an age of ever more expressive dancers..here's to the redefinition of trance as we know it..NOTHING LASTS BUT NOTHING IS LOST..everything is on track!

peace xx

I think the album is fantastic. It has so much flow, and demands to be listened all at once. It is the first I've heard any Shpongle, so I will definitely be backtracking through their discography.

There are two formats I know of that aim to replace CD - DVD-A and SACD. They have much larger capacity and support multi channel audio. They have been around a few years now but haven't really pervaded people's homes like CD did.

Two or three years ago I started a thread in a trance forum (can't remember if it was this one) where I said that IMHO Posford was the Mozart of trance. I was told to fuck off in a trancey sort of way.

I just find it baffling HOW MUCH stuff he's done, and furthermore, how much of it I really like...
It's consistently solid and very clever production.

Something that occurred to me the other day: usually with albums you have a track or two which you can take to your mates and say "hey, listen to this track", and when you play it it is a self contained entity.

The other two shpongle albums, and pretty much all albums I've ever heard are like that.. you play a track, eg. track 3 "A new Way to say Hooray" and you know that that tune has a beginning, a middle and an end, all self contained.
But in "Nothing Lasts.." I haven't had that feeling yet. I haven't thought "I really like track x" or anything like that. It seems to me that the whole CD could just as well be only one track. Like the track marks are just a quick way of skipping through one tune..
I think it's a very bold way of making an LP and definately a step in an unfamiliar direction. In a good way.

I'm rambling, but does anyone see what I mean?

Dan.

Back