Police "Creeping Privatisation" (in Manchester)

Deleted member 735

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Reaction score
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...ol-shopping-streets-of-manchester-city-centre

Interesting article about a pilot scheme in Manchester.
Basically, potentially upto 100 "officers" from the private security company, "Securitas", walking the beat in Manchester City Centre.
No powers to arrest just yet, but could potentially be given powers to issue fines etc for littering and what-not.

I'm torn.
Anything that deters folks from littering and being general bell-ends, is a good idea.
But on the other hand, I don't like the idea, of security guards walking my streets, unless it is 10000% clear what EXACTLY their role is, and to whom they are answerable.

Any thoughts, (given that this is a pilot scheme that may be rolled out in your town, if "successful")?

:-/

Any idea can work well or badly. If done well then it could get the shops to pay for their own problems. (Seeing as the police have recently been known to charge festival organisers for the costs of policing festivals, I don't know why they don't do that for retail centres already. Or maybe that's part of what happens to business rates?)

If done badly then the security guards will be paid a proportion of fines issued, so we'll see unnecessarily (even dangerously) onerous policing, in the mould of those car park attendants to ticket people for having their wheel 1" over the white line.

And if they are issued with tasers, god only knows how many will receive life-affecting injuries.

Personally I think it's a lousy idea which is only being implemented in order to gradually reduce the need for and help drive down the wages of actual police officers. Some people will think it's a great idea, until they end up having to deal with the poorly trained and paid private security rent-a-cops who are even more ignorant of the law than the real ones are.

Personally I think it's a lousy idea which is only being implemented in order to gradually reduce the need for* and to help drive down the wages of actual police officers.

Yea, i'm defo against swapping these guys for Police.

I know this is slightly different from Police 'Privatisation' but what is your view on the Winsor report?

What is your view on a starting Constable pay being cut from 23,500 to 19,000? Im not sure what to think, I mean Police to get a unfair amount of pay compare to all other emergency services and Armed Forces, something I think is unfair as all of them have a very hard job, and in the Armed Forces deadly job. So I think their pay should be very similar, but can we afford to jump up the other Services pay? I dont think we can, and even if we could it goes completely against this Governments targets.

I dont think the Police deserve to be paid 10-15% more than other Services, but should it mean them getting such a drastic pay cut, im not sure? But then again if this country is in austerity then in the medium term other pay cant go up, so to make it fair perhaps a reduction of pay is needed.

However as a Social Worker im going to start on 25,500 a year, so maybe I should play it smart and be against any cut to pay....... Social Workers could be next. :unsure:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/08/police-pay-winsor-report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...o-the-police-easier-to-be-made-redundant.html

Back