Putu Wirantawan

MrHammy

Forum Member
Reaction score
"Rarely in Bali does the observer have the opportunity to experience art of such a unique and “other worldly” quality as created Balinese contemporary artist Putu Wirantawan. The fundamental key to Balinese traditional art is drawing, for Wirantawan, however, it serves a different function to that of his artistic forefathers.

About 15 years ago Wirantawan (b.1972 Negara, Jembrana, West Bali) became overwhelmed by what he perceived as a block in his artistic development. Yet, unbeknown to him at the time, he was in the formative stages of creative innovation. Having learned to draw and paint in his youth, actively exhibiting since 1993, and a graduate in Fine Arts from the ISI Yogyakarta 2005, (Indonesian Art Institute), Wirantawan had already become competent in the mediums of oil and acrylic paint, along with water-color to produce figurative and abstract works. Wirantawan, however, had become bored with these genres and wished to break free."

putu-wirantawan-detail-of-terbaran-energi-sejati-2-photo-richard-horstman.jpg

I asked my friend who also lives in Indonesia a while ago to help find him - she said he was very hard to track down but she managed to get the number of the gallery his works were in. I didn't follow it up but can try again - would love to get one too

I found him on Instagram 👍

Back