Riots in Sydney, Australia

I'd say more 'excuse', but says at the bottom of the beeb's report that a lifeguard was attacked by some 'middle eastern looking guys'.

Sounds like a good excuse to go beating on any 'non-whites' to me!?!?!?!? (sarcasm BTW).

No more reason that what it usually is when a bunch of white Australians get together, drink and try to cover up their lack of self esteem with attacks on the 'wogs of the week'. When I was growing up it was the Italians at first, then the Japanese, now middle Eastern people.....

Pathetic, stupid, idiots........

(asks herself)... do I really want to go back ???:ifrown:

I saw footage on the news - it was sickening - are we really stiill that prejudiced? How do people raise attitudes like that - crowds and crowds of them rioting - its wrong in my books.

I can't begin to imagine how i would feel as someone of non-austrailian appearence living in austrailia right now - angry, i expect.

I saw a massive sign on a beach saying "100% Aussie"

Just wrong...

though i do love australians as i have many family members and friends out there, it does seem to me that there are times when they seem to think that causing a drama through violence is a good idea. and whilst in portugal last summer i did find a few of them rather rude to say te least and particularly judgemental. i just hope they know that this isnt the way to make a point.

That's not good news, my parents are in Sydney @ the moment (eek I hope their OK). It still shocks me that how small minded people can be. It just goes to show how powerful and unpredictable the, "mob," can still be,

This has absolutly nothing to do with the fact they are Australian, its the fact they are human, and for some reason, many humans feel the need to hurt other humans for no particular reason.

This thread is starting to get a bit to close to being anti-australian, and its really not right, because you find this pathetic behaviour in every culture in the world, from the UK to Papa New Guinia to Alaska to Australia....keep the focus in the right place guys, because excatly this kind of '...australians do this blah blah...' kind of conversations where what triggerd this in the first place, except it woz '....eastern europeans blah blah...'

strange in sydney, wich is one of the most liberal cities in the world.

john howard's a racist **** anyway

miszt said:
This has absolutly nothing to do with the fact they are Australian, its the fact they are human, and for some reason, many humans feel the need to hurt other humans for no particular reason.

This thread is starting to get a bit to close to being anti-australian, and its really not right, because you find this pathetic behaviour in every culture in the world, from the UK to Papa New Guinia to Alaska to Australia....keep the focus in the right place guys, because excatly this kind of '...australians do this blah blah...' kind of conversations where what triggerd this in the first place, except it woz '....eastern europeans blah blah...'

dude all we chatting about is the fact a load of australians have rioted against people and its made the news - not supposed to be a judgement on all australians or a slight against the country on a whole.

x

Well I am an Australian living in the UK and this whole issue is sickening, especailly as many of the perpetrators of the violence are from the surfing community, generally known for its' open minded take on life. Certainly any 'white' person who thinks they are more Australian than anyone else should do a little history lesson, just because your roots go back a bit further means fuck all, you are an immigrant too pal!

Yeah this has certianly been big news.

Look, in an country there are people who feel disposessed both socially, or financially, who might not be that well educated and well foreigners are an easy target.

Melbourne, where I come from is incredibly multicultural, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who aren't racist. Certain factors led to Cronulla beach boiling over last week, helped in no small measure by radio station DJ's fuelling the fires with racist talk, but at the end of the day it was yobbo Australians, getting pissed and getting sucked into mob culture.

I think it could happen anywhere really.

Of course the ironic thing is that whilst Mr Howard claims these acts are un-Australian and also claims there is no undercurrent of racism in Australia, many would argue that his policies and attitudes are themselves racist.

I arrived into Melbourne airport this morning, and was having a good look around and it struck me just how multicultural we are. The stereotype of the blond aussie surfer might still be used to promote Australia around the world, but it's really not representative any more.

Jason

Back