The pain...

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
Powerbook's HDD died yesterday. 3 half finished tunes, 2 finished ones and my carefully organised sample library.... vaporised in seconds.

Backup? no... don't be silly. I was just about to buy an external HDD too....

:sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

Massive sympathy mate. I had to close my company when the latest version of my Festival management software got lost when a hard disk fried. Had spent hundreds of hours working all night as it was the only thing which could keep me afloat ... so backups got missed!

Still have the Hard Drive labelled "LEO Millennium Technologies - R.I.P" in case I could ever afford Data Recovery (hollow laugh!).

Had to get a proper job and everything :no:

Now a neurotic backup obsessive...

I suppose its a bit late to remind you that digital data is said not to exist unless it is in two places simultaneously...

It only takes one bad HD crash to remind you that CD burners are £30 and blank disks are 17p a shot.

Backing up is boring though innit..?

My sympathies.

:no:

Get two HDD cadies, get two extra HDDs and a ghost disk and spend 20 minutes each month/2 months to mirror your working HDDs. If one fails you have a HDD in the drawer that is an exact image of the original with the same directories of audio files for sequencers to locate...etc and keep on working until you format the messed up one, or get a new one if its dead.
It'll cost you a bit more than 100 pack of CDs (which I also use to keep back ups of sample libraries), but it'll save you loads of time and hustle.

Peace out.

:no: :no: :no:

that is bad news.

Try and look on the bright side though!!!

This happened to me around about a year ago and in retrospect, it was probably the best thing that ever happened to my music making! But I guess that doesn't make it any easier for the now.

:no:

all the best, and hope that your comp woes are soon resolved!

thats awful :no:

happened to me big time last dec , still not recovered a drop, so i 100% feel your pain :Sad:

The major bitch is that the HDD seems to be physically damaged. I reinstalled OS X and the computer wouldn't boot from the HDD. Although Disk Utility says the HDD is fine... wtf?

And I don't have "Apple Care" or whateva they call it... I was under the impression that Macs were stable so I wouldn't really be taking too much of a risk by not shelling out £200.... :no: so no tech support.

Any Mac geniuses out there can give me some advice?

If I had enough spare cash for data recovery, I'd have bought an external HDD and there wouldn't be a problem... :unsure:

anyways.... thanks for your sympathies!

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Mar 12 2004, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> And I don't have "Apple Care" or whateva they call it... I was under the impression that Macs were stable so I wouldn't really be taking too much of a risk by not shelling out £200.... :no: so no tech support. [/quote:e9507248ad]
Now you understand the pain I went through for three years - and the reason I get so uppity when I hear Mac zealots claiming that they don't crash. They're just another platform at the end of the day, with the same advantages and disadvantages we all have to put up with.

But yeah - have you booted from CD to see if the computer can read the data on the drive (apols if you've answered this already) ?

You may be able to read the data, even if you can't boot off the HDD.

J.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Mar 12 2004, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I was under the impression that Macs were stable... [/quote:7ce27c1372]
Duh.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Mar 12 2004, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The major bitch is that the HDD seems to be physically damaged. I reinstalled OS X and the computer wouldn't boot from the HDD. Although Disk Utility says the HDD is fine... wtf? [/quote:1842d756b7]
have you tried any of the more hardcore utilities/programs out there?
i cant remember them all off the top of my head. . . . . but theres drive 10 / norton /
techtool, and diskwarrior has good reputation - it has saved my ass on a number of
occasions when disk utility failed to. disk utility is not that great for such problems.

good luck

x tweaka x

just discovered that it is still under warranty. I'm sending it back to Apple...

... and I should get a free OS upgrade out of it. In fact I'd fucking better, or there'll be trouble. :angry:

Back