v/a - compilation of crap

theres loads of shit dub, breaks and glitch out there, have you been on addictech or beatport in the last 4 years??? On pstshop you only get a 40 second sample, most Wav sellers give you 2-3mins..... .this makes it alot easier to experience the shit....amongst other things i mix electro house, and you think psy has it bad just listen to some of that..99% of it is excruciatingly, arse clenchingly bad....1 % of it, however, is fucking mint (figures are estimates btw)

Well I've been creating my own hand picked wav compilations for a couple of years now, and for the most part it works great for me (except when the tracks are only available on Beatport and I have to pay through the nose for them). The only problem is most of the stuff that's out there released on CD isn't available as wav online (at least in the prog and chill departments).

As for online wav distributors undermining the work of labels, well until the labels start consistently putting out quality I wouldn't be too worried about that. To the labels: Don't just release your mates tunes, release the good shit!

it's all very odd, because no one makes much money off CDs anyway. so why dilute the entire scene while making no money/losing money? just to get your name out there?

The only problem is most of the stuff that's out there released on CD isn't available as wav online (at least in the prog and chill departments).

really? i think beatport has a good selection of prog. it doesn't cover the smaller labels well but everything from blue tunes, iboga, digital structures is on there to buy as wav's. and old stuff too.

Personally, i think Beatport have done a great job and the way they market the music is the way forward. Sitting down and making your own WAV compilation is just how it should be, as in the end you get 9 tracks that you really like.
The price works out the same anyway, like when you buy a CD it usually contains only 3 or 4 tracks that you 'must have', so essentially you're paying for just those tracks, like 2 or 3 quid each - (when i think about it, before Beatport, i have paid a tenner for a CD with just '1' track that i wanted, ouch! )
I recently bought 9 tracks from Beatport, minimal/prog/psy, and the cost was around £20 but hey, to me, it's a killer comp of WAV quality which i play out lots and had a great time compiling AND, i know the artists will be collecting from it so all good. To get the same level of satisfaction from buying CD's, i reckon i would have to spend £30 on 3 different albums, plus postage, so until labels stop diluting their albums with sub-standard filler, it's digital download for me all the way i'm afraid.

aye, im with geo there like, I dont mind paying the extra for wavs i actually want - it's better than being stuck with a cd with a load of middle of the road sigh-trance on it... It works out cheaper in the long run - track for track (IMO) :Smile3:

Personally, i think Beatport have done a great job and the way they market the music is the way forward. Sitting down and making your own WAV compilation is just how it should be, as in the end you get 9 tracks that you really like.
The price works out the same anyway, like when you buy a CD it usually contains only 3 or 4 tracks that you 'must have', so essentially you're paying for just those tracks, like 2 or 3 quid each - (when i think about it, before Beatport, i have paid a tenner for a CD with just '1' track that i wanted, ouch! )
I recently bought 9 tracks from Beatport, minimal/prog/psy, and the cost was around £20 but hey, to me, it's a killer comp of WAV quality which i play out lots and had a great time compiling AND, i know the artists will be collecting from it so all good. To get the same level of satisfaction from buying CD's, i reckon i would have to spend £30 on 3 different albums, plus postage, so until labels stop diluting their albums with sub-standard filler, it's digital download for me all the way i'm afraid.

hmm ..beatport is great for feeling you are getting cash directly to artist

the quid per wav thing that beatport impose is nigh on criminal though...i have had to "put back" a lot of tunes i have wanted recently just due to cost of "wav handling"

beatport is better for breaks/minimal/prog

the psy selection is pisspoor really

any solutions....would love to go to an online "shop" run by someone from round these parts.selling quality psy/prog/breaks/chill

any recommendations for online shops i may have missed?

Yo Steve,

I agree with the WAV handling charge, it's a bit of a mystery that one, i'm gonna e-mail them and get them to justify it, cos if you're buying a few tunes it doesn't half bump the price up at the end. Although, i stand by my claim that hand picking your own selection does work out cheaper than buying a CD with only 3 tunes on it that you actually want...
I also think that as more download sites appear, then the music will become better value to us all, as at the moment Beatport seem to have the lions share, if not of the music, then certainly peoples attention.
With regard to the Psy selection, i see Nano have just put their stuff on there, but generally speaking, i think it's the overall quality of Psy that has been piss poor these last couple of years and that's probably got a lot to do with the lame selection on the Beatport site...
This is of course just my opinion, speaking as a totally biased Prog whore....!

Yo Steve,

` i'm gonna e-mail them and get them to justify it, `.!

at some point i ended up somehow paying in dollars...the prices wav handling was then a dollar...and a lot more manageable...it then switched itself back to sterling ;O(

i do agree that making bespoke compilations is the way forward...but sometimes releases "grow on you"..unless it has instant appeal i won't buy it now

yeh, proxy servers (or whatever they are called) is the way to go.

as far as beatport having a good selection...well, its getting better but its nowhere near as comprehensive as it could be. i dont know how its set up but it seems that its mainly bigger labels that seem to be represented on beatport/trackitdown.

interesting to see that alchemy have put burn in noise and flip flop on there pretty soon after their initial release :Grin:

also big up cytopia for pushing some less well known labels and individual artists (there are some proper good tunes there hidden away ;o) )

also big up cytopia for pushing some less well known labels and individual artists (there are some proper good tunes there hidden away ;o) )

Absolutely. It is my silent prayer that more labels get involved with Cytopia because they so far offer the best service but unfortunately the smallest selection. Still I support them whenever I can and always check if the tunes I want are available there first. They also do whole track previews which I'm sure I'm not the only one who really appreciates.

This is a cool topic... I feel disenheartened about alot of the releases out there too! The digital label idea is a good one, I believe D-A-R-K records are doing a good job with that.

I like the fact that alot of emerging artists are willing to hand out their tunes to similarly emerging digital labels that in turn release free VAs (even in lossless format,yum!). The way I see it, allowing new ideas and not so popular styles to get into people's heads (free of charge) and into people's sets is the only way from stopping a scene like this from stagnating. At the end of the day, music should be all about sharing.

I'm a bit shocked actually that alot of the people in the psytrance scene seem bent on making $$$ or a reputation! :-(
Maybe it's this hurry to get stuff 'out-there' and not get left out of the loop that results in bad releases?

couldn't agree more! My point is that digital labels who make an effort to give people music for free are probably doing the scene more good than others who charge for a pile of crap.

the good people at peak records are working on something that will enable you all to buy individual .wavs through their website. once its sorted they will be sharing it with us so you'll all be able to buy just the tunes you want on wav without having to fork out a massive £10 for the entire cd! trust me all of us involved with labels are racking our brains to come up with a plan that makes people actually buy the music, just so we can pay the artists.
just like to say a big thanks to the 1000 trance fans that actually buy cd's and a big nothing to everyone that downloads poor quality mp3's. come on people put your hands in your pockets and support the artists you like so they can afford to live.

www.bomshanka.co.uk

ive bought enough albums just for one or two tracks in my time whats the problem this has been happening for years and years

i never mix with d/l wavs...its got to be original cds for jimbo.......if you cant afford it, tough - fuck off and get a job hippy

anyone involved with labels (CD/vinyl/digital) knows that artists not from that label keep their best tracks back for those labels who can afford to pay them more money. That is generally true, although artists could give a great track to a big label for the exposure a bigger label can bring if you are not an established artist. That is what I think happens with some artists and tracks on the Revolve Promo CDs.

Artists tied to labels because they own the label can of course choose to sell tracks individually but have to get people to visit their website.
IMHO the last Ajja album released on CD was in that format a bargain as almost all the tracks were very strong and there wouldn't have been any saving in buying the tracks individually, except if you were a DJ other than Ajja who could get away with playing a set made up of 10 Ajja tracks.

With sales down to miniscule levels it seems strange that anyone would complain about compilations not being so good.
Do people realise how few are buying each release worldwide? Many labels excluding the big ones are now lucky to sell 500 copies.

As a DJ myself it's also good that it's not so easy to compile an amazing set from just 3or4CDs and even then if the CDs are great it can be possible. I mention this also because many reviewers are DJs and judge CDs mainly from how many tracks they could play out rather than whether other tracks are still a good listen even if not as good as the stand-out ones.

Anyway I don't normally comment so much about label-type issues but felt I had too as things are about to hit crisis-point in my opinion.

More sales means better compilations.
: )

.wav downloads would be brilliant.
although i would still buy CD's for the sweeeet material pleasure they seem to give me.
I need higher quality files for digital DJ'ing. 3 / 4 min samples and .wav downloads would be sweeeet and i could go and spend the 10 pound i would normally spend on one artists album / labels comp on lots of different artists / labels, sharing the wealth a bit :P
I use beatport now and again but its full-on collection is lacking, prog's ok on it tho i suppose...
Would be very interested to hear how the .wav d/l idea comes along
:Smile3:

Back