Whatever happened to the 6/8 / triplet rhythm?!

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Although I've used it cheekily in various okaces in tracks to add some sly power before a drop (those of you who've heard track 3 on Streamline will know it :Wink3: ). I've realised more and more that there are far fewer tracks now which have longer 6/8 sections in them... a la Dark Soho's older stuff and more recently a section in Electro sun's 'Faded Memories' (on Spiritual Rhythms of Psytrance)...

That's the only recent track I've heard though... and I remember there being far more tracks with this rhythm before?

Where's it gone?
Is it just not appreciated on the dancefloor anymore?! (I remember stomping like a wildman a year or so ago when rizzo was DJing and dropped Combustion)

any ideas :irazz:

has any one ever wrote a 3/4 dance tune? i've tryed a few times but never got that far.

peanan said:
has any one ever wrote a 3/4 dance tune? i've tryed a few times but never got that far.

Yeah! More in euro(eurgh)trance though... In terms of psytrance, check out Dark Soho - Combustion , and from their latest album: Long Way Home. Plenty of other tracks though, but none of which i can think of now...

The Phonographist said:
As a DJ (playing full on) I tend to find triplets slow the pace of a dance floor down so avoid tunes in them. Whilst I do actually like the effect of them, they tend to be a pain in the arse to mix out of.

Yeah man, I completely understand that, although the tempo isn't slower, the groove makes it feel slower, which is wicked in certain contexts but a hassle in others...

Anyway, was wondering 'cos i'm working on another cheeky longer 6/8 in the middle of this track (the rest is standard 4/4) :Grin: and am hoping it's not a dancefloor spoiler :p

:ismile:

i love it also, i love using it in a track and i love hearing it on the dancefloor. 12many played two tunes in his set on saturday with triplets in them, but its rare to hear that kind of thing at the moment. and there are ways of making it sound fast as well, you just gotta try different beats and stuff. remember, you spend a lot less time thinking in triplets, so good ideas will be harder to come by, but they are there.

Double_Helix said:
i love it also, i love using it in a track and i love hearing it on the dancefloor. 12many played two tunes in his set on saturday with triplets in them, but its rare to hear that kind of thing at the moment. and there are ways of making it sound fast as well, you just gotta try different beats and stuff. remember, you spend a lot less time thinking in triplets, so good ideas will be harder to come by, but they are there.

Just wait for this to be finished then...

:iwink:

But on a serious note... I also love triplets, they have with them a real sense of power, and i always try to stomp through the floor when I hear them. Wicked stuff... am sitting here busily working on this section, getting it to sit (fingers crossed) smoothly with the rest of the track!

I agree that it's rare though... a 6/8 revival i feel is on the cards! :iyes:

Who's with me?!:irazz:

triplets is good. i like having triplets and not triplets in the same tune, mixing between them can be good... pendulum do a lot of that sort of thing

evilwill said:
pendulum do a lot of that sort of thing

popular trick in breakbeat production. Re: Clownstep. wigg-a-da wigg-a-dee etcetc

yeah thats pretty common for grooving delays..sounds great too

but using this time signature for tunes (from what tunes ive heard written like this) seems very limiting, all the tunes sound samey doof/der der doof/der der doof/der der doof..very stomping ......but samey none the less.

personally i dont like it for too long...a whole tune for instance , would get right on me tits

slight off topic, last Shpongle album has a 7/4 around track 4 I think or somewhere near there, well I think prolly the whole main theme melody with the piano is on 7/4 and 3/4 at times, I need to listen it more to be sure.

But he plays a lot with tempo sig

Class!!

haha :Grin: cheers guys, glad you like the bouncy snippet er, segment :iwink:!...

@Johnny Digital...
It's not evil!

It's still got 4 beats in a bar (except with abit more bang for your bounce)

i think i'll try other time signatures, like 3/2 (or is it 2/3) wich are quite common for the sense of speed

isn't 6/8 THE classic jazz swing signature?

Back