Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Whats your favourite book, to make your brain go wobbly? :wacko:

Mine is:

Godel,Escher,Bach:An Eternal Golden Braid
A metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of lewis carroll

by

Douglas R. Hofstadter

More fun than it sounds and a complete headfuck. Very difficult to have an opinion on anything after this!

:blink: :blink: :blink:

godel, escher, bach took me months to finish and understand but it made me interested in the art of mathematics. Very good book indeed. Incredible relations between maths, music and visual material. If it wasnt translated I dont think I d be able too cope up with it. I ve read it in Turkish.

hmm and interestingly enough was my headfucker book too...
next one could be sailor song by Ken Kesey
yeah after reading his books and loving them I got this one too, but got lost in it, hmm though its not a brain fucker
some heidegger essays fuck my brain nowadays
baudrillard
hmm and deleuze and guattaris nomadology also was a headfucker

'The Dancing Wu Li Masters' started to nicely fuck my head, but then at the end of it I felt alot of it hadn't fully penetrated, due to my lack of scientific knowledge..
So now I've got 'The Illustrated A Brief History of Time' by Stephen Hawking, only flicked through really, but looks well nice..
also have the McKenna classics - 'Invisible Landscape' read half so far, and 'Archaic Revival' read bits and pieces..
got 'Stalking the Wild Pendulum on the Midsts of Conciousness' by Itzhak Bentov from Amazon a while ago.. bought it for the title really, has got to be complete headfuckage!!
Am reading a book on K at the moment aswell, called 'Ketamine: Dreams and Realities' by Karl Jansen this is fucking intense but am only half way through and am not sure if it mentions the Olsley's Legions condition, which I spose it should cos so far it's just made me want to K myself..

also 'A Clockwork Orange, One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest, The Electric Koolaid Acid Test, Trainspotting, The Happy Prince, The Teachings of Don Juan, Fear and Loathing, and The Adventure of The Monkey God' were all lots of fun !

must now check out 'An Eternal Golden Braid' and also 'The Holographic/Elegant Universe' someone else was talking about..

A Brief History of Time was a "Head un-fucker" for me - I read it in one 12 hour sitting and was totally mesmerised by it.

I even understood bits of it.

Remarkable.

Still, for me, The Illuminatus by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea is the ultimate headfuck book. I've read it 4 times now and I still couldn't tell you what it is about.

Well - not with anything above Circuit 3 anyway.

Also included would be Cosmic Trigger [1,2, and 3..] and Prometheus Rising - also by Robert Anton Wilson.

I love Bach and Escher so I may be tracking An Eternal Golden Braid down soon.

After I find out who the fuck "Godel" is...

:Grin:

I'm reading The Illuminatus at the moment, nearly finished it now, and it certainly is a headfuck! excellent book though :Smile3: It's amazing how much of it has seeped into psy-trance culture as well.

Ott - Godel is a 19th century mathematician who came up with a whole load of cookey theorems, which operate in much the same way as an escher picture...

These theorems totally work, are demonstratable in real life, but it really, really has that wobbly brain effect. There's a whole big section on a mathematically way of looking at Zen - which is really interesting. And of course a delightful section on how to destroy record players.

Wonderful book, highly recommended, but your head feels kinda full afterwards

hmm and interestingly enough was my headfucker book too...

the inevitable conclusion i feel! :Wink3:

Illuminatus was a bit too tongue-in-cheek to be a Real headfuck. The Elegant Universe and a brilliant book called The Arrow of Time are astonishingly headfucking in a mathematical/multidimensional way. A Magick Life - the biography of Aleistair Crowley is a book where you get to see someone elses head being truly fucked.

At the moment I'm reading The Golden Bough which is about tribal traditions of magic, ritual and religion. It's fucking my head up because it's so bloody turgid and reads like an encyclopedia (In Bali they believe you should leave a stick on your porch if you've gone shopping, whereas in South Queensland you should leave a small leaf. In rural France, when shopping, peasants would burn a small twig and leave it in pot of beeswax . etc. etc. etc. until bored senseless!).

Logic 6 Platinum: Users Manual

Yeah, Godel's incompleteness theorum. In any mathmatical system there are going to be paradoxes (wave partical duality) which can't be solved using the current system so you have to discover a system that encompases and explains the last systems paradoxes therefore creating new paradoxes and so on and so forth. I guess until we get to super symetery where there is nothing because it everything cancels out its opposite as in +1-1=0 which is why we see the golden mean everywhere in nature, because this is not a duality.

The Reflexive Universe by Arthur Young is a good book.
The Ra Material Books 1-3 are the best spiritual guide books IMO.
Magnum Organum by Michael Topper is the best guide to enlightenment NIS (need I say) IMO.

At the moment I'm reading The Golden Bough which is about tribal traditions of magic, ritual and religion.

ugh! superior white-man intellect trying to make sense of those crazy savages... (otherwise known as 19th century ethnography :Wink3: )

Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot...

Also... I fink more people should read Origin of Spieces (Darwin)... and a really amazing book is "Performances and Persuasions - The Play of Tropes in Culture" by James Fernandez. Incredible analysis of cultural discourses and how they relate to different world-views... (if your into that sort of thing :Grin: )

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Mar 16 2004, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
At the moment I'm reading The Golden Bough which is about tribal traditions of magic, ritual and religion.

ugh! superior white-man intellect trying to make sense of those crazy savages... (otherwise known as 19th century ethnography :Wink3: )
[/quote:c664189198]
True - but I've started it now ... and some of it's actually fascinating.

One all trance-heads should read is: The Mind Possessed: A Physiology of Possession, Mysticism and Faith Healing By William Walters.

It describes the common symptoms of the trance state and how the increased suggestibility of people in trance is used in religious ceremonies around the world, from Voodoo to American faith-healers. Wonderful book ...

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (martin_e @ Mar 16 2004, 12:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Mar 16 2004, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

[/quote:b7a88bd3ed]
True - but I've started it now ... and some of it's actually fascinating.

[/quote:b7a88bd3ed]
Definately fascinating in parts.... just veeeery dated! It was very useful for finding random ethnographic examples to back up dodgy theories in my undergrad essays :Grin:

Reading david ickes stuff isnt much of a head fuck, but trying to convince other people that what he says make sense certainly is.

Bret Easton Ellis.. American Psyco.. not really a head fuk book- more of a book where he fuks heads..

yeah I'm strange - no need to tell me.

I like the books of Stanislaw Lem (except "Solaris"), sorry but I don't know, how they are titled in english! :Sad:

"Sterntagebücher" (Something like star-diary) is my absolut favourite one, which contains hazardous wicked Stories! :Smile3:

Hey wow I ve just finished the Golden Bough a few weeks ago. I thought therd be noone else to read that book. It has lost its anthropological value as it is not a valid book according to them. But I think for someone who is interested in Rituals it a very good piece of literature from 1890 :Smile3:

Funny enough, I have just started the "Golden Bough".
I though the contagion theory of magic a perfect 19th century quote of
Bell's theorem.

"Nothing in this Book is True" by Bob Frissell at the time had a major impact on
me, and the sacred geometry stuff I still find pleasing, though it seems all a little
naive now.

Best book so far----

Angel Tech by Antero Alli, The best explanation of the 8 fold circuit i've come
across.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yodhe @ Mar 16 2004, 06:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

the 8 fold circuit [/quote:29d4cdd8d8]
???

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kodomo @ Mar 16 2004, 05:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Hey wow I ve just finished the Golden Bough a few weeks ago. I thought therd be noone else to read that book. It has lost its anthropological value as it is not a valid book according to them. But I think for someone who is interested in Rituals it a very good piece of literature from 1890 :Smile3: [/quote:f068b2bc46]
I'm a fully paid up anthro nut, so I don't count!

Back