Software Serato, Rekordbox or Traktor?

bez23

https://tacticalvote.co.uk/
Forum Fun-raiser
Reaction score
It's about time I made the jump to controller. Opinions, advice, rabid partisanship, advantages, limitations.

Smear my eyes with your truths.

Last edited:
I just use traktor. Took me a while to transition from cdjs to traktor but once i got my head around i never looked back.

Its made ever aspect of mixing, from compiling to actually mixing, much faster and easier to do. Which helps immensely if you dont have huge amounts of freetime anymore. (current situation not withstanding). SO much so that once i did become used to the controls etc i was able to restart doing my monthly radio show right here on psymusic radio.

thats my 2p anyway

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Jim. I'd forgotten about Traktor - I know Dan Compression is a fan.

Additional questions:
I've got Pioneer decks that take USB, but find that once I've filled a drive/stick with possible tunes, file compatibility becomes the next hurdle, and frankly it dries my vibe out like nothing else. Converting 16 bit FLAC to wav is quick and easy enough, but I'm forever buggering around with 24 bit files in Soundforge.
Are there any limitations to the softwares in terms of file compatibility?

Last edited:
I can only speak of traktor, but I mix with flac and wavs only as the sound quality on 320 mp3s is noticeably shoddy when compared upwards. It takes FLAC and Wav fine.
So far I have 65GBs of music on traktor but I'm constantly removing tracks I don't need as I upload more. Traktor does take some tweaking in the settings to get going well but that is easy once you have sussed it. I only really use a fraction of its features, but there is all the loop functions you would need, up to four dexs, tonnes of fx and loads of other things on top of that.

One thing i must say about traktor is that it is prone to the occasional spazz out. Its deleted all my music saved in traktor on more than one occasion. But everytime you use it, it sets a backupfile so you can revert back to an earlier save point (last time you used it) if it does that. This will save all ya tunes and settings so its just a case of a few clicks in the relevant folders and its back.

I have plenty of advice on getting traktor running well and how to keep one step ahead of the spazz mode, so if you plump for that one i can give you some tips if you need it.

Last edited:
Not really. Ive only ever used one and it's a denon mc4000. It works fine for the functions that I use apart from the looping bit which doesn't seem to match up. I have to do all that on the pc when I'm mixing etc. DSE uses a traktor midi controller so he's the man to ask about them

I'll second (3rd?) Traktor, lots of useful features, good cataloging and cue system, decent filters and FX plus ability to integrate samples and stems. I've tried them all and if I was out DJing it's certainly what I'd use.

Are there any limitations to the softwares in terms of file compatibility?
Traktor will happily play files at all sample rates/bit depths without issue, even 96 Kbps mp3's if you wanna save some storage space. :Dash1:

Traktor will happily play files at all sample rates/bit depths without issue, even 96 Kbps mp3's if you wanna save some storage space. :Dash1:
Special delivery for sir... :Stinker:

bez waves away your shy file size.

He gave me pelts once for listening to his mix that he had uploaded onto his own mixcloud account!

Apparently i didnt search hard enough for the wav version.

So after a few hail mary's i slinked home

This is the sort of thing you have to deal with here

bez waves away your shy file size.

He gave me pelts once for listening to his mix that he had uploaded onto his own mixcloud account!

Apparently i didnt search hard enough for the wav version.

So after a few hail mary's i slinked home

This is the sort of thing you have to deal with here
Hehe, I'm quite used to the cut of Mr 23's sardonic jib. :Wink3:

i know you arent a beginner Bez, but still this video may be helpful to you?

At home I use 2 pioneer decks networked with a pioneer mixer all linked to computer running rekordbox. I can play tracks on the cdjs straight from rekordbox without having to load USB sticks

In an attempt to prepare for a surprise Dj slot which is now unlikely to happen, I started using Traktor on iPad.

So shoot me

i really like traktor and i dont see myself stopping using it anytime soon

Back