Drone / Beatless / Ambient

A few years ago, I started a series of mixes.
These went under the names, "Dawn-Walkers".
These ambient sound-scapes were recorded as the sun rose over my house at the time, in a leafy suburb of Manchester.
To try and capture a specific mood, I went to the effort of setting everything up in the garden.
Equipment often included CD decks, a turntable, computer, microphones, FX units and a 16 channel mixing desk.
I often had several aborted attempts at 5am, due to horrible weather, but eventually succeeded in getting them recorded, exactly as I wanted.
Now, over 4 years later, I was going to put them up online, for people to share.
However, they were lost! ....
....Then, OneStone, who had downloaded them at the time, came to the rescue and sent them over to me, to be archived properly and uploaded again for people to enjoy, if that is their thing.

So, here is, "Dawnwalkers Part 1 (Aug 2009) - I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed recording :Smile3: x

(ps - Photo of the River Mersey Basin (Chorlton Manchester stretch), taken by me also)

Awesome. Been digging the ambient recently. StillStream my go to daytime listening of choice and BAUMAN.Electronics on Soundcloud. Will certainly be giving these a whirl during the rest of the week

Any way to download these? Not sure about mixlcoud if its even possible

If you're talking about mine, I can look into it.
Maybe when my music starts selling more, i'll be able to afford to put them up on SoundCloud or my own website instead haha...

^ skills! really lush is that. And wow the 2nd video!! Incredible - it seems like a bunch of longer exposure photos faded into each other - so each frame is blur water flow - stunning locations!

Thank you for making music!

Last edited by a moderator:
(there's an 8! cd pete namlook tribute out via bandcamp - lots of FAX artists involved on first 4 - really good deep chillage in amongst)

i make ambient

...and very nice it is too.

To be honest mate, I know we've spoken a few time, but i'm shite at SoundCloud, I hate it.
Where else can we keep in touch? ...I always enjoy your tunes and think, "ah....I should keep more in touch" , and then don't cos I hate Soundcloud haha :Smile3:

(there's an 8! cd pete namlook tribute out via bandcamp - lots of FAX artists involved on first 4 - really good deep chillage in amongst)

Any links????

Good thread.. I been so busy with things in life I am missing out on the good stuff... loving the tunes and mixes so far which have been posted.... Let me contribute....

Minimal chill mix I have done... But ideal for fans of this music..

Any links????

namlook tribute comp

polymorphic convolutions - there's actually a couple of lush 'hidden' ISHQ live in tokyo tracks as part of the download
spirit of la selva - a bluetech compiled album
sync24 - this is half of carbon-based-lifeform and bit more midtempo styles but some lovely bits all the same
within reason - more chill dub tech vibes. perhaps a bit like p.laoss ? here's him in 5star chill mode p.laoss (somnia)
native planet - features mighty fine house tempo track by gaiana - super lush with it tho - plus decent chillage
another unrelated but quality release sharing that name is by invader tron
eiten reiter - half of loud in QUIET mood. for balance: 10reasons we fell in love with psytrance
manmademan - theophany just beautiful
enuui - mindstate disposition - track 7 from that features greg hunter & mauxuam ^epic vid above : )
greg hunter & mauxuam (along with ishq and master margherita etc) were cloudcycle (i think ishq is on indus)
loscil - his first narrows album is fairly essential. rhian sheehan - amazing textures in amongst
loscil & bvdub - this album's grown on me a bit - subtle nuanced shimmering layers - but enveloping too

dadavistic orchestra is PWOG and black dog and an intense listen - sharp in places maybe but still intriguing
v-i-r-t-u-a-l home of ISHQ
t.x.t home to lee anthony norris (metamatics etc) - info about project with ishq - ishqamatics
signer - i think loscil released on signer's involve recs - more dub tech but lush too e.g. B02
stormloop - found via namlook tribute collector (and also runs label that erebus released on)

helios

Check out this chaps mixes

https://soundcloud.com/solitude

Lots of the new ambient that is coming out of the Dubstep scene. Think Burials ambient stuff then take it from there. Loads of nice, yet slightly melancholy textures in these mixes, most beatless. Some classical and classics (Aphex Twin) in there too. Some of the mixes go through into the more 2-step and some proper garage side of things but that's all good with me.

Sangam and Orlogin (I think Manchester based) also do lots of nice post dubstep ambient stuff too. I'm loathe to use the term night bus as a genre. Check out Night Tracks http://night-tracks.com/

Ambient has overwhelmingly become my daytime, go-to, music of choice. This thread has been invaluable!

Back